Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Motor Oil In Radiator
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi All,

I keep seeing a film of motor oil in my radiator. I have replaced the head gasket, had the radiator re-cored and just today I took the car out and there was a considerable amount of oil floating to the top of the radiator.

I also notice a white foamy film on the inside of the radiator cap after driving the car.

I realize it could be a few different things wrong but I'm leaning towards this thing (please see yellow arrow in picture).

I don't know what this thing is but I do know it has both motor oil and antifreeze flowing through it. I'm guessing it's either an oil warmer for cold climates or an oil cooler ... 50/50 chance ... lol ...

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and past experiences and hopefully resolutions to this matter.

Thank you in advance,
Crin

Attach file:

jpg  (83.03 KB)
2652_5f8ccfeaa68e1.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Motor Oil In Radiator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your arrow is pointing at your oil cooler (heat exchanger) which is in series with the full flow filter; most likely the core has a leak and as the oil pressure is higher than the coolant pressure, your crankcase oil is entering the coolant flow. Not an uncommon problem as these cars have reached old age.

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looks like the oil cooler on your '36 Eight Sedan has probably sprung a leak. Need to disassemble it, messy job, to locate the leak. Hopefully only a gasket failure.
and a question. What is the signifigance of the photo in your Registry Entry?

Edit - O_D, too quick off the mark for me!

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Thank you for the quick response. Now for the silly question, how do I fix it? When you say the core has a leak - do you mean the oil cooler itself? Do I need to start searching for a replacement?

Thank you,
Crin

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi,
I forgot what my photo is on my registry entry - how can I check it?
THanks,
Crin

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Oh ... that's Bender from Futurama - always looking for the "angle". Being a Romanian Jew I always get teased that I'm always looking for the angle (as in "what's in it for me") ... just like Bender ... lol ... gotta love it. If I had a dollar for every time I was called a Gypsy ... I would own my dream-Packard.

Thank you all - much appreciated. I now recall that I was having a little trouble with that oil cooler gasket a while back and kinda blew it off. Lesson learned.

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming it's the core (like a hot water heater core but built to handle much higher pressures) and not just a gasket, evaluate it the same as you would a heater core. Pressurize it with air, put it under water, and the bubbles will lead you to the leak. Repair or replace, or machine a bypass to take the place of the core, still allowing the filter to function.

This isn't a new topic here, use the search function and you'll find more information.

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Thank you sir. Much obliged.

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Crin wrote:mOh ... that's Bender from Futurama - always looking for the "angle". Being a Romanian Jew I always get teased that I'm always looking for the angle (as in "what's in it for me") ... just like Bender ... lol ... gotta love it. If I had a dollar for every time I was called a Gypsy ... I would own my dream-Packard.......
That explains it, Didn't think it looked like a Packard!

Posted on: 2020/10/18 18:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved