Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
49 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 47

Ozstatman, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stuck valve guide
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I have a 327 inline that’s in a 52 200 touring sedan . It’s engine was rebuilt . Since the rebuild by a mechanic who perhaps didn’t do it right , I’ve had problems blowing head gaskets repeatedly . This last time I started thinking it was because of a stuck or sticky valve . Sure enough “ guided” by this concern the mechanic found a heavily worn guide # 5 exhaust valve from the back , and a bent valve .
Great mystery problem solved !
But can’t get the guide out
He said it’s stuck said could only get it to move 1/4”
Is that common ? Is that a engine killer ?any extraction wisdom?

Posted on: 2021/10/17 13:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Stuck valve guide
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Basic point is that you can pound them out with a small sledgehammer, they may break, but it doesn't matter because you are replacing them. The parts will come out the bottom. You can break them off from the bottom if necessary.

Valve Guide Driver, etc.

You can also pull them out with a tool made from a threaded rod, there is more in that in the posts from the same thread.

Posted on: 2021/10/17 23:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In my experience there is not a definate relationship between a sticking or stuck valve or badly worn guides and the constant blowing of head gaskets, so you may be dealing with more than one issue. As to the stuck guide, though I encountered my share of stubborn ones, I never encountered one that didnt' ultimately yield to the proper application of force and patience.

Posted on: 2021/10/18 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hi
I’d shaved the 288 head I put on the 327 ( compression jump) , switched back to the 327 head after blowing a head gasket .
The 327!was rebuilt , hopefully the guys decked the block but I later figured out the guys weren’t good and who knows ? The engine block was bored to .06 . I had overheats after this
I learned that in the day no one bored this far in the flathead 6’s and 8’s . I compensated for this with an aluminum radiator , replaced the water distribution tube ( painful) ,water pump , thermostat, hoses ,and put in a flex fan ,and shroud , and that worked nicely . I encountered stripped head bolt holes and have fixed the bad ones with time cert ‘s and it takes torque evenly .
Unfortunately the magnificent old packard has had mostly down time
She’s currently up at an Austin mechanic who was recommended by some of my favorite Hudson whack-o’s, who professed knowledge and love of flatheads
I’ve learned lots through the thoughts and musings of the packard forum members over the years since my packard bug infection

Posted on: 2021/10/20 6:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My WAG is your are using a standard glycol anti-freeze coolant in your system. Since your radiator situation is a non-pressurized system you could try No-Rosin, which provides good anti-corrosion for the engine and since it is a water based approach you achieve better heat transfer.

On my '32 901 I had a problem getting the stuck valve and guide out. I made a "Tool" to push both up and out.

Good Luck with your valve and head issue.

Posted on: 2021/10/20 16:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved