Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 237

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New engine for a 37
Just popping in
Just popping in

denny
See User information
Wondering if anyone has been successful in putting in a 6 cyl motor in a 37 120. I do not want to move steering and brake cyl but I would like to replace my straight 8 with something like a Ford or Chevy 6 cly truck motor with AC. I have seen Rods converted to V8's but I don't want to mess with steering etc. Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2009/4/23 23:01
Denny
 Top  Print   

Re: New engine for a 37
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Why not just add A/C to the straight eight? You will keep more value in the '37 with the original motor.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 23:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you decide to keep the straight eight, I can explain in detail how to add a/c to it.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 1:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It would probably be easier and cheaper to find and install a straight eight.

Engines are one of the easiest parts to find. Packard 120 engines are not very difficult or expensive to rebuild.

Do not underestimate the difficulty and expense of adapting a different engine. It's probably about the same work and expense either way. But the straight eight car would be more desirable and worth far more money when you are done.

So, does anyone have a suitable engine?

---------------------------------------------------

On re reading your original post it seems you have the original engine in the car? If it is rebuildable (block not cracked, no rods sticking thru the block) it would definitely be better and cheaper to rebuild than to replace with a second hand engine of dubious worth.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe that the older style GMC inline 6-cylinder engines are easy to install. If I recall correctly there is no adaptor needed between the engine and transmission, and even the clutch disc has the same spline as a Packard. This is all from a 50-year old memory of a car that someone else converted.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 10:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Denny,

Although you've been a PackardInfo member for quite some time this is your first post, so

I also see you've been a long time owner of the '37 from this - "1937 Packard 120. I purchased this in 1976 in many pieces and after 18 years it finally took it's first breath. Still have woodgraining to do and some interior chrome." in your profile. My preference would be to retain the 120 engine, presuming it's OK, and take Eric up on his offer of a detailed explanation of how to add A/C to it.

But whichever way you choose to go, could you please include the '37 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/4/24 15:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved