Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Replacing Vent Handle
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I have a replacement vent handle (39 Six) and while I can see what I assume is space for a pin or screw, it's not clear to me the best way to get the existing one off. The "base" doesn't really budge to push in and access it. Is there a trick to doing this? Technically speaking I really just need to swap the roached knob with the original replacement. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2023/3/25 21:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing Vent Handle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The pin isn’t tight so just pushes out but far easier with a tool. The tool slips in between the bezel and the handle and the pin at the center pushes out the pin.

If your panel was put on properly, there is a heavy spring behind each handle that may take some pressure to overcome, especially as the vent crank is closer to the edge of the panel where it doesn't flex as readily.

Attach file:

jpeg  602A5C2F-24F4-45F2-A8E7-6A9317BAFA68.jpeg (10.66 KB)
60923_641fc1a4b4fde.jpeg 700X700 px

Posted on: 2023/3/25 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Assuming it’s a crank handle. If not, I’ll send pix that might help.

Don, where did you get that tool??? I need one.

Posted on: 2023/3/25 23:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The "base" doesn't really budge to push in and access it. Is there a trick to doing this?

I cannot speak for 39 but it sounds like it has the same pin retaining method as described in BigKev's post about his 37 vent handle and was used on all later models thru 54. If so, there is a spring behind the escutcheon. That spring is mentioned in Kev's blog and Don provided a link to a photo showing the same spring as used on other brands in an answer post.

Sometimes the conical springs can be very hard to push in and can take a fair amount of force -- particularly if there is some sort of clearance issue where the spring cannot compress or is behind a panel that was reupholstered and the replacement board is thicker than stock..

Posted on: 2023/3/26 9:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:

Joe Santana wrote: ... Don, where did you get that tool??? I need one.

Joe, this way, please.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 10:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
No availabilty, okay, then come this way, Joe.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 10:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Don, where did you get that tool??? I need one.

Joe, I bought mine in the '60s from J.C. Whitney and it looks nothing like the one in the photo I posted as a reference, which was the modern one linked above. They seem very expensive today but the tool really does save much time and minimizes damage over trying to remove the pin without it! There are ways to do it without, though.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Thanks. Short of having the tool ($50 for a one time use tool), or a friend that had the tool to loan, what is the mechanism locking the pin? I assumed it has basically a spring pushing the pegs out but I can't seem to get those to budge. I see a nub in the center so is that a pin that has to be pushed in first? If so, my efforts at pinpointing and pushing that in to release didn't work either.

I missed some of the posts above for some reason so I may just have to try again when I have more patience.

Attach file:

jpg  handle1.jpg (160.26 KB)
225785_6420998214782.jpg 1291X1329 px

jpg  handle2.jpg (139.04 KB)
225785_6420998c7205e.jpg 1053X1209 px

Posted on: 2023/3/26 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Nothing locks in the pin which is a slip fit other than the bezel itself. With the spring keeping outward pressure, the pin is within the opening of the bezel so can't go anywhere but may be tight from corrosion or rust.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I was thinking a little rust tight might be in play. Will wait for when I'm in the mood to fight it a little bit. Thanks.

Posted on: 2023/3/26 14:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved