Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 71

53 Cavalier, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tail light/Brake light question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Okay…I think I already know the answer to this, but I’m looking for some confirmation.

I think my tail lights and brake lights are wired backwards. I believe that the brake lights should be the top socket and the tail lights the bottom. This is based on the wiring diagram depictions and that I don’t think the lens will fit correctly otherwise since the brake light is a larger bulb.

However, my car has these wired with the tail light on top and the brake light on the bottom

That said, it could also make sense for the tail light to be on top since that would best illuminate the license plate.

The wiring diagram appears to show the outermost part of the drawing as the top and the innermost as the bottom. It seems to show this with the tail lights and head lights.

The attached photo shows how I think the bulbs should be oriented with the brake light on top. Just looking for confirmation.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8212.jpeg (198.54 KB)
225755_650a660165a0b.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  IMG_0902.jpeg (203.90 KB)
225755_650a66e837591.jpeg 1605X1250 px

Posted on: 2023/9/19 22:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Tail light/Brake light question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just my but if those are the only two bulbs in the housing and there is no reflector arrangement to direct light toward the slot then I think your statement about the small bulb being on top to also act as the license light would be more logical. Is there any way the socket mounting arrangement could have been rotated and small bulb should actually be on top and more in line with the slot?

If not, with the tail light bulb low and pointing a bit downward it would seem most of the light for the license lens would be blocked by the much larger upper bulb.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 22:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Do yourself and the rest of the world a favor by painting the inside of that housing bright white. It will make an amazing difference in how much light comes through the lense.

Posted on: 2023/9/20 7:08
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tail light is top and should be the smaller of the two. Brake light is bottom and should be the larger of the two.

As said, its made so the tail light illuminates the plate on the left side housing.

Also you light plate is installed upside down. The brake light should be pretty centralized in the housing and the taillight close to the top of the it.

Perhaps someone swapped the right and left inards.

Posted on: 2023/9/20 8:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For reference:

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230920_084550_Photos.jpg (110.16 KB)
1_650af7bd7df3a.jpg 944X1438 px

Posted on: 2023/9/20 8:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, everyone…This really helps. It looks like I’ve got some fixing to do. Based, on Kevins photo, it does appear that the internals got switched from right to left.

I do plan to paint the inside white, but right now the focus is just getting everything working correctly.

Posted on: 2023/9/20 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I pulled the tail light buckets and switched the internals. This makes much more sense now.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8218.jpeg (184.11 KB)
225755_650b9da26d66a.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/20 20:34
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking good!

Posted on: 2023/9/20 21:28
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved