Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Outdoor Packard winter storage
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
Looking for tips / guidance on storing my Packard outdoors all winter (I live in Delaware). Long story, but I am "garage challenged".

If I use an outdoor cover, will the paint get abraded as the cover moves with the wind ? Do I want the cover really tight ? Loose ? Vented ? This would be on gravel/grass.

Is there any system to use talc or something to create slip between cover and paint ?

Maybe this is nuts, anyone ever shrink-wrap a car (like they do boats) ? I'm investigating a bunch of storage possibilities - some have a carport roof.

The car's a driver - but I'd hate to mar / damage over winter.

Appreciate any thoughts or weblinks - thanks !!!

Posted on: 2009/9/10 8:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Outdoor Packard winter storage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Biggest risk with car covers used outdoors that I've heard of is that they tend to trap moisture beneath the cover and greatly accelerate damage to the car's exterior and interior from the resultant humidity.

EDIT - assuming that's true, probably a carport-like enclosure that permitted air to circulate would be better.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Moisture is your enemy--the ideal situation would minimize the car's exposure to moisture. Can you rent garage space nearby?

Posted on: 2009/9/10 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Dave,
Fortunately I have a garage. However, my Father stores his vehicles under a temporary type of carport. The framework is of metal poles and the outside of the structure is made of plastic sheeting or canvas. It lets the vehicle breath to avoid the type of damage Owen is talking about while protecting them. But we don't have a lot of snow here in Georgia so I do not know how they would stand up to Delaware snow. I've seen them for sale at Pep Boys if you have them up there. Best of luck!

Posted on: 2009/9/10 12:01
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The portable carport works well as I keep my pickup under one--Granted, we don't have snow here so that may be an issue with that additional weight on the tarp--unless you opt for the hard cover--and they don't like wind much.

If you wanted to splurge, the carport and maybe something like the outdoor capsule used together. Haven't used a capsule so don't know how much an issue it is to get the car in and out--http://www.carcapsule.com/home.htm

Posted on: 2009/9/10 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The underside of the car is also important. Setting on damp round will rust the bottom fast. Maybe get the car up on somekind of blocks so that air can circulate freely under The car.

I use bed shheets to cover my daily driver from sun. Easy to put over the vehicle and remove. Problem with long term moisture tho.

Put some good cardboard sunshades at the inside of the windows. Do not store under trees due to falling limbs.

pLUG exhaust pipe to keep mice out. Leave a window slightly open to allow for air circulation. I do this even in indoor storeage.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 14:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Where do u keep the car during summer time?????

Posted on: 2009/9/10 15:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Delawaredave
See User information
Packard has been in my neighbor's garage with her car outside. I think she's going to want her garage back over winter. Wife will divorce me if I get one of those aluminum carport things. Can't afford to rent a garage.

Someone suggested this: put a "tan flannel" cover over car and then put a waterproof & vented cover over flannel.

The idea is the outer cover will protect elements, and the flannel interim cover will protect paint from "cover abrasions".

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Tan-Flannel-Car-Cover.html

Thanks for all the help !

Posted on: 2009/9/10 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, you have received much good advice from the previous postings. I would like to help by adding the following.

I would fill the gas tank and treat the fuel with Sta-Bil, or equivalent, gas treatment, and run the engine to circulate the treated gas through out the system.

I would remove the battery and store it in the garage.

I would loosen the drive belts so there is no tension on them.

I would have the car on jack stands placed supporting the suspension, not the frame, and remove the tires and store them in the garage.

I would change the oil and filter after running the engine to circulate the treated fuel.

I would get a good outdoor rated car cover. There are many good outdoor car covers available. They are not inexpensive, but should protect your car.

I would place a tarp under the car, as has already been suggested, to keep moisture from harming the underside of the car.

I would plug the tail pipe, as has already been suggested, to keep rodents out of the exhaust system.

I would have the doors open slightly, to the first stop on the latch, to relieve pressure on the weather stripping and allow for some air circulation in the cabin. This, to me, is better than just having the windows opened slightly, as suggested earlier.

I think if you do all of this you will have protected your car while stored outside and it will be ready for another season of Packard driving.

Placing some moth balls in the trunk and cabin would be a good idea.

I know I have outlined a lot of things to do, but they could all be accomplished in a couple of hours.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 11:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Critters like to hide food in strange places. Look what this fellow found after bringing his car out of winter storage!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqlLfAtGD3s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IqlLfAtGD3s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2009/9/12 12:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved