Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Steering Fitting
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dick Steinkamp
See User information
I purchased a '56 Patrician recently. It is a one owner car with 80,000 miles, but had sat since 1982. It is quite complete, however the pressure power steering hose had been removed sometime during the storage. I believe it is the original hose that was included with the car, but the pump end of the hose has a female end as do both fittings on the pump.

Do I have the wrong hose...or is there a male/male fitting missing that goes between the hose and the pump?

Thanks,
-Dick-
Bellingham, WA

Posted on: 2009/9/9 9:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Fitting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At the pump are 2 female fittings. Essentially a flat hex cap or plug with a hole in the middle.

Pressure side hose has a 90 degree bend tube and what appears to be 5/16 inverted flare to screw into the hole. Return side is a 90 degree short piece of tubing that the hose just clamps onto with a hose clamp.

The pressure hose changes size at a restriction fitting about 18 inches away from the control valve and transitions into what appears to be 1/4 with another inverted flare fitting that screws into a female threaded hole in the valve. Return hose just clamps onto a short piece of tubing again.

On the Bendix system there are also two short pressure hoses between control valve and cylinder. Monroe is integral so just the pressure and return hose to pump.

Look in or downloadhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist5556/PartPlates.pdf the 55-6 parts manual, plates section, at plate 31C or 31D for the respective systems to get an idea of what is there.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 10:24
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dick Steinkamp
See User information
Thanks, HH56.

Mine is a Monroe system. The return hose is as you described.

Here's a pic of the pump and the pressure hose...

Click to see original Image in a new window

I guess I can conclude that this hose is not for this car.

Do any of the vendors sell the hose or is there a common interchange?

Thanks,
-Dick-

Posted on: 2009/9/9 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That hose looks correct, other than the female fitting on the end.

EDIT: I went out and looked at my stock '56 Monroe steering hose and it is identical to that one below.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ has the hose in newly manufactured fresh materials as do probably most all the other vendors. Part #465843. I don't know of a common interchange but a friendly parts guy might be able to find something if you give him the fitting sizes and length. If you had an actual hose, any good hydraulic shop could copy or use the old fittings to make a new one. Here is a pict from Max's website to get an idea of how his looks. The original Packard has a different setup at the restricting/hose size change location.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.15 KB)
209_4aa80ff9d1fcf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Dick Steinkamp wrote: I purchased a '56 Patrician recently.......

G'day Dick,

to PackardInfo. And a request, could you please include your Pat in the Owner Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/9/9 16:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dick Steinkamp
See User information
Thanks again, HH 56.

Ozstatman...I'll post the data on the Owner Registry.

-Dick-

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Concur with HH56. I brought my old hoses to a local hose company and they affixed my fittings onto brand new hoses. Quick turn-around and more economical too!

Posted on: 2009/9/9 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Dick Steinkamp wrote:......Ozstatman...I'll post the data on the Owner Registry. -Dick-

Dick,

Received your PM about your unsuccessful attempts to add your Pat to the Registry, for trying! What I'll do is try and step you through the process.

- Select Packard Owner Registry from the Main Menu.
- Select Add your Packard to the Registry at the top of the Registry listing.
- This opens the Packard Owners Registry Submission screen
- Select the Year, Series and Model from the drop down lists and clicking on the Go button after each selection.
- Scroll up to complete General Information, Interior Information, Exterior Information, Drivetrain Information, Other Information, Custom Modifications and a Picture. Using drop down lists where available.
- For a picture please save the picture you intend to use to a file on your Computer and it should be a (.JPG or .jpg Only) file. Size limitations are also applicable.
- After all that's done, and here I'm just stating the obvious, review the information entered and when satisfied, at the bottom of the Packard Owners Registry Submission screen, click on the Add To Registry button.

You should now have a PackardInfo Owner Registry entry for your Packard. Remember, "Please try to fill out as many fields as possible, you can edit them later if needed."

And my personal request - Please include as much information as possible including any known history and how it was acquired. There are some excellent and entertaining stories in the Registry about these aspects of PackardInfo members Packards.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 23:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dick Steinkamp
See User information
Ozstatman,
Did all that just as described (twice even)...got the message after hitting "submit" that the car was "successfully added to the registry". However, it still doesn't show.

-Dick-

Posted on: 2009/9/11 8:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved