Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

zpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

36 Packard Running Poorly - Need Some Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
First of all let me introduce myself. My Uncle & I have a 1936 Packard 120 8 Cyl 4 Door Touring Body. The car has dual side mounts & Pelican hoor ornament. I think it is one impressive looking car!!

The car is in good overall condition with an older restoration. I would say it is a decent driver quality. I don't know if I am among the younger Packard enthusiasts at 40 years old. I absolutely love these cars!!

The Packard was not run for a about a year and we recently got her up and running. I had her out for a drive and she ran like a dream! Engine ran strong and smooth. I had a bit of an issue with the rear lights not turning off (I will ask about that in another post!!) so I could not start her for two weeks.

When I got it running I noticed the exhaust had a really noxious smell to it. The exhaust does have some smoke but it is not thick smoke. Really really strong exhaust smell. The kind that permiates your clothes and you stink!

I don't think it is buring oil (i.e. rings, valve guides). When I have it parked and press the accelerator it runs rough. She is just not running well.. :(

Anyone have any ideas? Carb adjustment?? Timing?? While I am damn handy I will have to learn the specifics of making these kinds of adjustments on this car..... Let me know what other information I can provide so we can get this old girl back in action!!

Thanks in advance and a pleasure to meet some fellow Packard enthusiasts!!!

Posted on: 2009/10/24 20:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 36 Packard Running Poorly - Need Some Help
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like it may be running way to rich.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 20:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Bill, welcome to Packardinfo.com and the Packard family at large. Good to see another younger person, I used to be the young guy into Packards!
Before Mal gets to it, perhaps you could list the car in the Packard Owner Registry (sorry Eric).
As to your running rough situation and the various aromas it exudes, is there a color to the smoke that comes out the tailpipe? White, blue or black? how long does it smoke/smell? all the time it is running or just initially?
Does it start OK?
how does it idle?
does it increase in engine speed smoothly or is there a (repeatable)rough spot?
What is going on with the choke? have you examined it cold then after the engine is fully warmed?

Posted on: 2009/10/24 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
"Before Mal gets to it, perhaps you could list the car in the Packard Owner Registry (sorry Eric)."

I will get the serial number and get her into the registry!!

As to your running rough situation and the various aromas it exudes, is there a color to the smoke that comes out the tailpipe? White, blue or black?

- I would say the smoke is more white than blue or black...

How long does it smoke/smell? All the time it is running or just initially?

- Since I have noticed the smoke I have not had her out for a drive. I have had it running for 20 minutes and it smokes the whole time.

Does it start OK?

- Fires right up!

How does it idle?

- Idle is not great...

Does it increase in engine speed smoothly or is there a (repeatable)rough spot?

- Does not seem to get better on acceleration. Do you guys think it would do any harm to try and take her for a drive or would I do any damage??

What is going on with the choke?

- I think the last time I ran her I had the choke out. Not sure if I pushed it back in...

Have you examined it cold then after the engine is fully warmed?

- Do you mean the choke??

Thanks for the help!!!

Posted on: 2009/10/24 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
What I don't get is it ran great on a 5 or 6 mile drive... smooth.. strong... sounded great!!

Then, after it sitting for a week or two it then ran like crap....

Posted on: 2009/10/24 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
(sorry Eric)

Don't apologize to me, it's only annoying when Mal does it...

As for 40 being younger, I'd say not. I'm 33 and I'm not the youngest on here by a long ways. Personally, I'd rather see "younger" people interested in Packards than the stupid Jap imports with the fart can exhausts.

As for your smokey problem, I'd keep running it as much as you can. It might be running a little rich, but without having the car in front of me it's hard to tell. Keep running it, get the cobwebs out of it, and eventually do a carb rebuild. I think Mr. Pushbutton's ideas are on the right track, start with what he suggested and move on from there.

Keep us posted though!!

Posted on: 2009/10/24 21:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill,

to PackardInfo and congratulations on you and your uncle's Packard. Looks like you're already getting the right advice from the friendly, knowledgeable and experienced Packard people here.

And thanks to John(Mr PB) for requesting it's inclusion in the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 21:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
As to your running rough situation and the various aromas it exudes, is there a color to the smoke that comes out the tailpipe? White, blue or black?

- I would say the smoke is more white than blue or black...
This makes me wonder, if the car is running rich the smoke will be black, white can indicate coolant getting into the combustion chamber (usually a head gasket) This would bear looking into to eliminate the possibility.
How long does it smoke/smell? All the time it is running or just initially?

- Since I have noticed the smoke I have not had her out for a drive. I have had it running for 20 minutes and it smokes the whole time.

Does it start OK?

- Fires right up!
Well, this is a good sign. This tells me that it is getting fuel, it is getting spark and the right time and there is adequate compression.
How does it idle?

- Idle is not great...
OK--This would go hand-in-hand with it running rich.

Does it increase in engine speed smoothly or is there a (repeatable)rough spot?

- Does not seem to get better on acceleration. Do you guys think it would do any harm to try and take her for a drive or would I do any damage??
I don't think you are going to harm a thing, and you might learn more about what the problem is by driving it. Go slow and easy on local side streets at first, for safety's sake.
What is going on with the choke?

- I think the last time I ran her I had the choke out. Not sure if I pushed it back in...
this has a Carter 366-S carb, right? or do you have the early Stromberg EE14? both have automatic chokes, so I'm not sure what you are saying by "had the choke out", is there an aftermarket manual choke on the car?
Have you examined it cold then after the engine is fully warmed?

- Do you mean the choke?? --Yes, the choke.
The car may benefit from a carb rebuild. I like to know what's going on with the whole fuel system, from the tank, the line, the pump and the carb. I really like these guys for carb kits http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm
If you go with them, get a fuel pump kit and do it too.

Daytona, in Florida does a first class job of rebuilds and supplying parts

http://www.daytonaparts.com/

Posted on: 2009/10/24 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
How old is the gas in the tank? I once had a similar problem and once I got fresh gas, the problems disappeared!

Posted on: 2009/10/25 18:58
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Ahhh! very good clue, especially in light of the comments re: smell. Yeah, try new gas, drain out the old, see what happens.

Posted on: 2009/10/25 20:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved