Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Frame crossover
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Hello all. My son is building a 1947 Super Clipper Deluxe and we were wondering if there was a crossover frame newer model with more current running gear and steering/brakes. He is 13 and wants to make this a driver and I would like it to have readily accessible parts if repairs are needed.
Thanks,

Aden

Posted on: 2010/3/2 23:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Frame crossover
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Aden,

Wow, your 13 year old has a 47 Super Clipper Deluxe, geeze I had to wait till I was 16 to get a 51 200. Lucky lad!

Not to bark or preach, we have members with a variety of cars ranging from original to modified. If I understand what you are asking, you are looking to set this body on a different frame? Or putting a modern drive train in? Either way let me share some personal thoughts...

A Super Clipper, in my humble opinion, is a special interest car. The driveline is very capable, and virtually all parts are available. I would guess this will be a very special project for you and your son, and a vehicle he could conceivable have the rest of his life. I can imagine that in 20, 30, or even 40 years from now that he might look back and think, "Darn, I wish we would have preserved the car as it was manufactured".

Or, perhaps this is something you and your son have made your minds up on. The short answer is, you could set this body on a variety of chassis. There was a Clipper of this era at the PI membership meet a few weeks back on a 4wd chassis. While not my personal preference, I did give it points in my mind for original thought.

What ever you and your son decide, welcome to Packard Info, and please feel free to start a project blog. Our hobby is in desperate need of young people with an interest in Packard's.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/2 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I did'nt get mine till I was 64!

Posted on: 2010/3/3 0:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
may i suggest a newer car.......

Posted on: 2010/3/3 0:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
For what it is worth. I would suggest keeping a 47 Super Clipper orginal as possible. Some of these are the only post war cars recongized by the Classic Car Club(they recently added a Chrysler Town and Country). I think the models are 2103 and 2106.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 9:35
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
Jim and Packard1949

Thank you for your humble input. Let me expand just a little. We picked up this Packard from a local gentleman who is ecstatic that my son is interested in cars. The packard does not have an engine and is in moderate disrepair so we have our work cut out for us. I suppose that we could just put a custom drive train into it. The original motor and tranny are available at an additional charge. Wiring is all in need of replacement and some is missing. Interior is a complete wreck. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 23:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Ok, I see where you are at presently. I guess one question is how much is the drive train? That is an interesting way to sell a car, kind of one piece at a time! If the price is fair, you still might be able to get it back together.

May I also recommend joining Packard's International. I say this because they are a very strong California based club, and could be an excellent resource for you and your son. They are very young person conscious even promoting a youth judging category at the national membership meet.

I think the big thing is taking some time to research options. Wiring is available reproduction form a couple of different excellent vendors. In my opinion, it is far easier to install one of these purpose made harnesses than to scratch build or do the painless wiring kit. I have both in cars I own, and the repro OEM harness is my preference.

As far as alternatives, you could put a latter Packard 288, 327, 359(54 only very rare) or the original 356. there are other inline engines such as Ford, Chevy, or even a Chrysler slant 6, but they somehow seem less than at home in a car this magnificant. A V-8 seems like it would be lost in that engine bay, sort of low, and far back in the engine compartment.

Any chance of posting some pictures? I would love to see what you and your son are starting with. Should make a great project blog if you choose to start one here.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/5 1:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Aden wrote:
Hello all. My son is building a 1947 Super Clipper Deluxe

Some clarification might be in order. Most of the replies have assumed that the car is a Super Clipper which is a high end model. There was also a middle priced Clipper Deluxe model in 1947 with a drivetrain that was based on the prewar 120 series.
Either one would make a very nice vehicle with the original drivetrain.
The serial number would help to confirm which model you have.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 2:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks BDeB, I was about to jump in with the same observation... you beat me to it.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 10:10
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Aden
See User information
JD and BDeB,

Model # is 2122 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan.
Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks,
Aden

Posted on: 2010/3/5 10:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved