Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Adding Seat Belts To A Vintage Packard - ??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
I recently read an article about a vintage Ford collection. The owners have added seat belts to all of their vintage cars due to friends of theirs being killed in an accident in their vintage car.

It gets me to thinking that maybe my Model A and Packard should have seat belts. The upside is that they can easily be tucked away and hidden. Yes, there will be a permanent change to the car with the holes that have to be drilled to mount the belts.

Does anyone have any experience with mounting belts? Can holes be drilled and backing plates be bolted in place and not welded??

Do the 50's packards have seat belts? They might look appropriate in the vintage Packards...

Thanks gents!

Posted on: 2010/7/13 1:14
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Re: Adding Seat Belts To A Vintage Packard - ??
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here is what i did on a 56 Executive. Mite give u some ideas. Shoulder strap is best and rather ez once seat belts r installed. Start at post #20 on page 2 of the following link:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2907&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=10&

Biggest problem is finding seat belts/ shoulder strap of appropriate color for interior.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 6:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do the 50's packards have seat belts?

56 had them as option. Don't see a reference to any other year though.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.04 KB)
209_4c3c658b79abd.jpg 968X652 px

Posted on: 2010/7/13 8:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Biggest problem is finding seat belts/ shoulder strap of appropriate color for interior.

Look what's available from Snake Oyl, a long time advertiser in Hemmings Motor News for seat belts. When considering seat belts for my 56 carib (MES) I thought color might be a problem but they had a huge assortment of colors and had a near perfect match for Roman Copper Metallic.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.38 KB)
177_4c3c751a62616.jpg 661X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/7/13 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
I put them in my 41 convert.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 16:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
For what it is worth: a former medical examiner of Georgia County informed me that seat belts alone were worse than no belts since the passenger and driver in the front would pivot on the belt and smash their faces into the dash or steering wheel.

He refused to wear a seat belt in my 1974 Chevrolet Caprice Convertible.

So, if you can add a shoulder belt, that's the way to go - unfortunately.

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Posted on: 2010/7/13 20:45
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lap belts alone were kind of a mixed bag, certainly saved many lives, but also were responsible for a fair number of internal injuries. On overall balance, I guess the concensus is that they were better than nothing.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Martin OToole wrote:
For what it is worth: a former medical examiner of Georgia County informed me that seat belts alone were worse than no belts since the passenger and driver in the front would pivot on the belt and smash their faces into the dash or steering wheel...

Interesting argument.

So, if a lap belt might cause your face to meet the dashboard... then, assuming the same inertia without a lap belt... your face goes where?

I think we've been down this road at least twice before.

Three point seat belts (shoulder/lap) are excellent but may be difficult to install in pre-war vehicles, look anachronistic and can't be easily hidden (if at all).

Two point seat belts (lap only) are not as good as three point seat belts but can be installed on most vehicles, can usually be hidden, and at least keep the driver/passenger inside the vehicle.

No seat belts... well, I grew up without them, learned to drive without them and I'm still here.

I elected to go with lap belts on my Packards. Just a personal choice made after weighing the pros and cons.

Here is another thread on the same subject.

Quote:

Bill_OBrien wrote:
...Does anyone have any experience with mounting belts? Can holes be drilled and backing plates be bolted in place and not welded??...

Here's what the typical lap belt set comes with. It's usually grade 8 steel (I think) and doesn't require welding. Of course if the existing floor panels are wood or Swiss cheese, then all bets are off.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.80 KB)
188_4c3d440e7e18d.jpg 292X236 px

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I just had them (lap belts, JC Whitney) put in my 56 Patrician.

Two problems:

What size to get (75" front; 60" rear unless you carry the o-line, then up one size).

Who will do it? My normal gas station and two local body shops would not touch them due to liability issues.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 23:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved