Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 195

DaveJr, Leeedy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ultramatic Dipstick
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi All:

has anyone found a better solution to checking the tranny fluid on an Ultramatic. I suppose this will be a non issue after I get it resealed. Until then, it's a pain crawling under there.

Can a dipstick from a Gearstart or Twin be retrofitted?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/8/30 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Dipstick
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It would involve cutting your existing pan. The pan from a Gear Start or a Twin-ultra is the wrong depth and wont correct fit a regular Ultramatic. There are aftermarket companies that make "generic" transmission dipsticks, and I am sure with enough ingenuity you may be able to adapt something to work.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 15:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It blows my mind that Packard would omit the access plate all Hydramatics had. It makes any management outside of the dealer a problem and certainly the main reason Ultramatic was considered unreliable. I suppose the filler position relative to the gas pedal precludes such which is no excuse.

I do remember seeing an old time Packard guy topping his 53 Caribbean via the engine compartment, but I can't remember how he was doing it. I think he had some kind of extension on the filler with a long flexible dip stick.

I just fixed a leaky Ultramatic. The owner had given up on the thing and it was leaking very badly for years and years. He brought it back for something else and it sat all weekend with perhaps only a drop from the selector shaft. So they can be straightened out without mortgaging the farm.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 18:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 2306 (Custom 8) had a removeable cover in the front floorboard over the dipstick. It didn't appear to be something home-made.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 19:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
As I recall, my 54 conv had an inspection plate on top of the trans hump right over the trans vent. Fluid could be added there but you still had to crawl underneath to access the dipstick.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I won't swear to it but I believe this access panel is above the transmission filler plug. I don't know for sure because I use a length of plastic tubing and a funnel to fill via the dipstick opening on the left side of the transmission. It's a two man job where I'm under the car checking the dipstick and someone else is adding fluid as needed from the engine compartment via the funnel/tubing arrangement.

Of course this is a '50 not a '54.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.86 KB)
188_4c7c7cab61477.jpg 288X216 px

Posted on: 2010/8/30 23:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is what it looks like on my '54. I would imagine 51-54 should all be the same. This is on the middle of the hump directly in front of the seat.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.95 KB)
1_4c7c88eb73e53.jpg 1000X598 px

Posted on: 2010/8/30 23:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My '51 is the same as BigKev's. The access hole only allows you to fill it through a plug. You can't get at the dipstick from it.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 6:42
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
I made a spacer for a friend so that he could install a later pan on his 54.
Traced a pan gasket on 3/16 aluminum and cut and drilled it to add depth for clearance. The dipstick tube bends had to be adjusted slightly to fit. Make allowance on the dipstick for the 3/16.
John

Posted on: 2010/8/31 10:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Thanks alot guys. I guess I'll need to get this resealed quick.

On another subject: Now that I have determined the leaks are from the shift and throttle shaft seals. Someone earilier told me these can be resealed in the car. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/9/1 21:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved