Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

288 Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
so the 288 in my '53 finally bit the dust a few nights ago while I was on the highway... Time for a rebuild. But the down side is Packard parts are pretty pricey when you're on a tight budget. My question is this: dose anybody out there know what parts are interchangeable with other stuff? The rings look pretty close to 265 Chevy, but I don't know if they'd work for sure. Also, will bearings from anything else fit? I appreciate all the help!!! Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/12/11 20:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 288 Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
you can look at Hastings for the rings
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/

Posted on: 2010/12/11 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Kanter offers 3 different O/H kits that look like a good value, and it won't be a "shot in the dark" if you are getting the right parts or not.

http://www.kanter.com///productdetail.aspx?Tg=7221964&Mak=Packard&Yr=51&Dv=1&Dpt=1400&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Cat=31&Prc=1655

Not sure if Egge, Max Merrit & others have kits, you can call and inquire. You might want to tear it down and see exactly what is kaput and go from there, but once it is down might as well do it right if you plan on keeping the car..."in for a dime, in for a dollar"

Let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know the ring interchange but the various service counselor issues with mechanical specifications info available for download in the literature section have the width specs. Summitt has the details on the ones they sell and by sorting down, you might be able to cross there or at another parts store. Price runs the gamut from roughly $50 to over 130 for a set of 3 1/2" at Summitt. I would imagine the other aftermarket stores would be comparable.

Kanters price of $69 may not be too out of line and at least you know you would get a correct set without a lot of guessing.

As Packard8 mentions, it would not be out of the question if you found other surprises when you open it up--particularly if it is high mileage.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 22:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Last year I got rings for my 288 from Egge. They knew exactly what questions to ask and the rings were correct. I would suggest tearing the engine down completely before you buy anything. You may save money overall by getting a different used engine, assuming yours needs major work (rebore, crankshaft, etc.).

Posted on: 2010/12/13 10:56
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I forget, is this engine already disassembled? If the intention is to put new rings in used pistons, I'd advise strongly against buying rings until the pistons have been removed and examined. For one, they may be replacement pistons which take different rings. Second the engine may have been bored oversize which you'd have to know beforehand. And another consideration is the condition of the ring grooves; if they are worn beyond service limits then the grooves would have to be recut oversize and the rings equipped with spaces. And all of that assuming the pistons are in reuseable condition. Remove the pistons and evaluate what you have before you order.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Inquiring minds want to know--just how did it so suddenly bite the dust? These babies usually give lots of warning before taking a total dump.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 15:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....before taking a total dump.

Such eloquence!

Posted on: 2010/12/13 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
"suddenly bite the dust" is a matter of opinion I suppose... I mean, it is an all original engine, never been opened up, that sat in a barn for 25 years. It only has 75,000 miles on it, and ran like new though, no problems at all. Then one night I was on the highway and it started to knock real bad and was billowing smoke out the exhaust pipe like a friggin freight train. I'm leaning towards a trany problem as far as the knock goes now, seeing as it only occurs when the car is in gear and not when its parked in neutral. I'm pullinng the engine it shop class after winter break is over and I'm going to tear it down. I might throw a T10 or a Saginaw behind it as well if the trans turns out to be bad too.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 1:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It only has 75,000 miles on it,

It's worth remembering that although today 100,000 miles on an engine is not considered a lot, in that era it was considered very high mileage and many engines of many makes required a rebuild or partial rebuild before than kind of mileage accumulated - at least a valve grind or two and rings.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 9:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved