Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 197

Duane Gunn, Don B, packard1949, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

I'm thinking of creating a sign for my car for car shows and similar endeavors.
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Think of this as a 12x18 sign. If you care to comment, I'd be grateful for corrections, addition, subtractions, etc....

Edited to incorporate some of the suggestions!

1956 Packard Patrician

In 1956 the Patrician was Packard's top-of-the-line four door touring sedan. 3,775 were made; about 200 remain. Although the Packard name continued for two more years on rebadged Studebakers, this was the last year for the big cars.

How does your car compare?

As a very expensive (this one was about $5,000; double a nice Chevy) American luxury car, it's interesting to see what came with this one--and what was missing, It's worth noting that average income--per year--was only $ 4,800.

Has: 1956 was the second year for Packard's new V-8 engine (374 ci, 290 hp). It was also the second year for their highly praised torsion bar suspension, which combined a soft "luxury" ride with firm cornering. Automatic transmission was routine, as were power steering and power brakes (drums). Wire wheels were optional, but unusual on a sedan.

Fueled weight is about 4,500 pounds; length is 18' 3".
Amenities included luxurious cloth upholstery, a four way power seat, signal seeking AM radio, power antenna, front and rear seat heaters. Two tone paint was standard.

Lacks: Air conditioning, seat belts (both available, rarely ordered), air bags, lit vanity mirror(s?), power windows (available, common), individual adjustable seats, radial tires, anti-lock disk brakes, alternator, drink holders, GPS, FM/CD/MP-3 music, electronic ignition (or any kind of computer!).

Posted on: 2011/3/31 22:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I'm thinking of creating a sign for my car for car shows and similar endeavors.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How does the standard amenities you're listing compare with it's competition. I would hope the Packard didn't come out bare as compared to the typical luxury car. I think the torsion level would be the one to promote as no one else could compare but I think the average Cadillac came pretty well equipped in all other categories.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: I'm thinking of creating a sign for my car for car shows and similar endeavors.
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I don't doubt that a Cadillac (or big Buick or Imperial) came similarly equipped. My idea was for viewers to compare their current day car to the Packard, which I think will be interesting to a broader range of visitors.

Remember, the sign is not for you (you know the differences); it is to get folks interested in our hobby and our cars.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 0:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
As the most expensive (this one was about $5,000; double a nice Chevy) American luxury car in 1956,...

Pat, you own a wonderful car but I daresay folks would ask you for the sale price of a Continental Mark II.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.58 KB)
757_4d958ebe68f57.jpg 495X516 px

Posted on: 2011/4/1 3:37
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Double a nice Packard.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 7:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The lock-up clutch in an automatic was an unusual advanced feature. (I assume this version of Ultramatic still has it). The quality of the interior vs a modern car is striking in the Patrician. Chrome wire wheels were also an option, weren't they (although rarely seen on a Patrician)

I think the cost point question is to be clear about sedans (Cad 62 and 60S, Imperial, Lincoln, Patrician) vs Luxury cars. The later includes the continental, Eldorado, and Caribbean whcih all cost more than a Patrician

Posted on: 2011/4/1 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
You have air bags listed twice (department of redundancy department).
I would word the entire document differently, you are speaking to the "man on the street", not the dyed-in-the wool enthausiast, so you have to be careful. You would be suprised to know how many people don't know that cars did not always come with seat belts, air bags, air conditioning, etc. The way it is worded it is possible to construe that those features were available but not ordered.

I used to write labels for a museum, I had 150 words allowed to tell them everything we thought they needed to know about a given car, written from a perspective that the general public does not know much about history (very true if they are American born and bred) and that they don't understand that $5,000 in 1956 is not the same as $5,000 today.
We always included the average annual income for the model year of the car, you can get that online fairly easy from the US Census bureau website.

Hold tight, I'm working on an alternate version for you, I'll finish it tonight. Luch hour is over, back to the salt mine!

Posted on: 2011/4/1 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I used a card like this at general meets and it is a nice conversation starter. People are generally surprised to hear Packard offered AC, power seats, power windows, OD before WWII

Posted on: 2011/4/1 14:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
patgreen, I usually carry copies of an information sheet on each of my cars to post under a wiper and hand out to folks who express an interest. They probably aren't what you are after but if you'd like to browse them for ideas, PM me with your email and I'll send them.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Waiting with baited breath for the rewrite. Forgot all about the Continental. Sorry Lincoln!

According to the department of commerce, average family income was $4,800 in 1956, so calling these cars expensive seems reasonable.

As to the 150 word limit, it makes good sense when there are lots of things to see.

I appreciate the transmission thoughts (and shudder to think what the mileage would have been without direct drive) but feel it isn't that significant. It just seems to make this too nutsy boltsy. Do others agree? It's also a space issue: it takes too many lines to explain it.

I'm always surprised/amused when museums refuse to put a value on their holdings e.g. a model similar to this Ferrari sold at auction last year for 5 zillion bucks..... or the Monet you are looking at was valued this year by Christies at 47,999,999 dollars.... It is certainly something folks want to know, without going into a long discussion of how we know what something is worth...I didn't go there because it seems like bragging...and my car isn't all that valuable, so my bragging rights are fairly well limited. It comes up a lot when showing the car, though.....

Is there a way to make things completely unambiguous without getting as dry as dust or excessively detailed? I tried to point out which options you could have had and a rough idea of whether they were common or rare. I just think it turns into minutia very quickly.

I'd like to tickle you enough that you you ask questions and create an opportunity for conversation which can lead to this hobby.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 15:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved