Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 94

Dell, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Which Spark Plugs?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
So my '51 327 has a '48 head on it that takes 10mm plugs.

When I got the car it had Champion UY6 installed.
I cross-referenced this over to an AC M8 (Which is a marine plug) and the car ran terrible. Tons of carbon on the plugs.

I'm looking at the manual for a '48 and they specify Champion Y4A. Is that what I should be using?

Posted on: 2011/4/15 10:25
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

Re: Which Spark Plugs?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The AutoLite website recommends AutoLite 3136 for all postwar Packards with 10mm plugs.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Dave:

Champion UY6 means Auxillary Gap (u), 10mm (y), heat range 6

Champion Y4A means 10mm (y), heat range 4, Conventional a

Under the Champion system the lower the number the hotter the plug so a 4 is a hotter plug than a 6.

Under AC the higher the number the hotter the plug.

The AC M8 is more resistant to fouling than Champions.

I would look for another reason for poor performance than spark plugs.

Good Luck.

PS I have no idea what Auxillary Gap means

Posted on: 2011/4/15 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Auxiliary gap or resistance gap means there is a gap in the electrode between the tip and the plug wire. This acts as a spark intensifier like the ones they used to sell at the county fair. Helps prevent fouling and gives a hotter spark especially if the gap is a little wide or the ignition not too hot.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I agree with Tim about looking beyond the plugs. I've installed the M8s for years in customer's cars with no complaints.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 5:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Thanks Rusty:

Here is a patent application for Auxillary Gap:

Patent Application #4,549,114

Spark plug for externally ignited internal combustion engine

Abstract

"To increase the spark intensity delivered from a spark plug, an auxiliary spark gap (33) is serially connected with an auxiliary capacitor (37) and the main spark gap (42), the auxiliary capacitor being charged through a charging circuit including a resistor (45) connected in shunt to the auxiliary spark gap (33) and the auxiliary capacitor, and a further or second resistor (46) connected in shunt across the auxiliary capacitor and the ground or chassis electrode (15), and a shunt capacitor (51) is connected between the main spark plug terminal (27) and the ground or chassis or counter electrode (11, 15) so that, upon breakdown of the auxiliary spark gap, the main spark gap will have a voltage thereacross formed by the charge voltage of the main or shunt capacitor (51) and the additional voltage on the auxiliary capacitor (37) which had been charged through the resistors connected across the auxiliary capacitor and to the main spark plug terminal (27) and the ground terminal or electrode (15) respectively."

I don't know if AC plugs have this gadget, but if they don't then maybe that is why they seem to be more durable because this stuff looks like a gimmick that develops opens and shorts.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 10:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds a little like the "spark enhancer" advertised in the back of almost every car and mechanic magazine of the 50's. Some kind of gadget that plugged inline between the center terminal of dist and coil. Was guaranteed to intensify the spark for reliable starting, increased power and mileage and make your car run like new. A side benefit was to almost eliminate having to change or clean plugs. Just think, if everyone had bought one of those and some of the other gadgets available, we'd be self sufficient in oil, with like new 50 year old cars everywhere.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved