Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

32model901, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
Does anyone know where to look to see if I have an Autolite IGP Distributor in my 1940 120?
I'm considering installing a Petronix Electronic Ignition.
I have spent the entire winter checking out and tinkering but the engine still stumbles at high RPMs. I can get it up to 35 MPH but then it starts to crap out. No mechanics in my area, and I'm at my wits end.

Posted on: 2008/2/25 2:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
I am sorry to say I can't help ID your distributor however, I had a similar problem with my 1930 when the voltage regulator went bad and it wasn't charging correctly. Same thing; it would go so fast and it started breaking up. turned out it just didn't have enough juice to charge the coil at the higher rpms. The tip was that it got worse when the headlights were on.

Scott

Posted on: 2008/2/25 7:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say you don't know where to look to see if you have an Autolite IGP distributor? You look on the OEM's distributor tag, assuming it's still present. If the tag has been removed or can't be read, it will be pretty tough as they all look pretty much the same.

Have you checked for wear in the distributor shaft bushings? This is a common cause of mid- and highspeed missing and if not corrected, will give the same problem with Petronix. New bushings aren't all that hard to find and if you can't give me the dimensions and I'll see if I have them.

But "craping out" above 35 mph is more commonly a symptom of fuel starvation.

Posted on: 2008/2/25 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I think it would be good to take a "whole patient" approach rather than blame the distributor without more information. Have you tested the distributor to see what shape the bushings are in? You can grab the rotor and try to move it side-to-side, testing for wear. There shouldn't be much. I have seen cars with distributors so worn that they wouldn't start at times, then would start but run very erratically. Had the distributor rebushed and things got better in a hurry. The distributor is often overlooked when an engine is rebuilt. If every other part in the engine is excessively worn to the point of needing replacement, the distributor equally as worn!
I often invoke the "take a shower and put your stinky underwear back on" analogy.

Posted on: 2008/2/25 9:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
I had to replace a broken valve spring last summer. It ran hot as the weather climbed, but had more power than ever at high RPMS. While taking it to the radiator shop for a flush job it overheated on the way there. I pulled over let it cool down and drove straight there. Thats when the problem started. I did not drive it hot. As soon as the gage went up I stoped.
I've checked plugs (new) - wires - carb - points - condenser - coil (looks)new - New Optima battery - new flex fan - compression is good - timing as close as I can get it without scope - electric fuel pump with gage steady at 4 to 4.5 pounds pressure. I did have to free up the heat riser, it was rusted in the closed position. I'm out of ideas. I'll check for play in distributor in morning - there is no tag on it.
Thanks guys

Posted on: 2008/2/26 2:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Have you installed a new condesor? I've had this problem with several point type ignitions and found the points pitted from the condesor failing.But has also happened with no noticable wear on the contacts.A poor ground at the distributor has had me pulling my grey hair out.
Does it back fire?

Posted on: 2008/2/26 16:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
WAAAAHOOO HAPPY DANCE SHES FIXED and wow do I feel stupid.
When I bought the car it came from Ohio - the former owner didn't have the auto choke hooked up and to start in cold weather he had carb mixture extremely rich.
After installing tube from exhaust manifold to choke, I had to lean it out.Then as summer came on the engine wouldn't restart when warn - until I leaned it out more. As the summer heat went up - it was overheating so I had the block and radiator flushed. Thats when it seemed to slow down to 35 MPH.
I checked the carb - plenty of fuel at idel and looked fine when I blipped the throttle.
While laying in bed one night thinking about it. One thing kept coming to mind - on 3 or 4 occasions I had leaned the mixture. DUH too much.
Next morning I started her up, let it warm up and held the throttle wide open - sure enough only about 800 RPMs max. I took the trusty old screw driver and opened up both mixture screws 1 full turn and VIOLA FIXED....
She does 60 now and I'm still kicking myself.

Posted on: 2008/3/18 23:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Glad to here the "Old Girl" is back on the road! I guess Owen's theory on it being fuel delivery related was correct.

So how many turns 'out' are your mixture screws now from the seated position?

Posted on: 2008/3/18 23:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

RedRon wrote:....
She does 60 now and I'm still kicking myself.

Ron,

As Willie Nelson says.....Back on the road again....

Happy Packard motoring!

Posted on: 2008/3/19 0:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved