Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Stimpy Cat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 Colour Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
I haven't been able to find much on this on the site, so perhaps someone just knows? My '34 chassis came with wire wheels and they seem to have been painted a very dark blue. It looks to be an original colour - if this is the case can someone tell me what the colour was called or point me towards a formula or colour chip? I would like to use this colour for the wheels and chassis of the new special.

Cheers

Snapey

Posted on: 2011/8/29 7:30
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 Colour Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The darkest of the blues in 1934 was Packard Blue, a standard factory color for several decades though it may have varied a bit over the many years it was used.

The other 1934 blues were Bruce Blue Pearlite, a metallic blue, and (in some references) Gainsborough Blue, a very much lighter blue.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Based on information on TCP Global's web site (http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1934-packard-pg01.jpg), Packard Blue in 1934 is IM-1441. They have color chips for many IM numbered colors.

They should be able to blend you a quart in an acrylic enamel that you could use to see if it matches what you have. I would suggest talking to Jimmy "Chips" (ext. 135) or John (ext. 150) at TCP (858-909-2110) about the matter.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Thanks guys - will check it out and see what I can find here in Oz.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
There are 2 modern colors that are a pretty spot on match for Packard Blue. One of them is called Midnight Blue and it was offered on 77-79 T-Bird, Cougar, and some Lincoln models through those years. It's very close. The other is from Chrysler Corp from the early-mid 80s called Nightwatch Blue. Spray it over a black base or black sealer and it's just about perfect. Packard Blue is "Prussian Blue" tint and binder (the clear portion of the mix), nothing else. And yes, the Prussian Blue tint is just like the bluing used for valve jobs. Very transparent. Have fun...

Posted on: 2011/9/8 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just browsed the DuPont color mix formulas for Packard Blue over the years - and the formulas do differ a bit over time as I had suggested earlier. Some were based on Prussian Blue, others on Milori Blue, and always with very small amounts of other tinting agents which also varied from year to year. No doubt the end results were all quite similar.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
It sounds like Nightwatch Blue will be an easy equivalent to access so will give that a try. Thanks again to you all.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 17:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved