Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Parts carry over from previous year.
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I was trying to figure out what the push/pull switch is for that is on the left of the light switch on my '54 Clipper Super. I believe it was for the electric antenna. But during my search of the owners manual(s), I noticed that I have the '53 dash cluster. The three round gauges. But the heater/vent controls are '54 style. The vin on this car is 5462-6754 and it does have the '54 tail lights.

Would they carry over parts that far into production? Or has this been replaced sometime in the past?

Posted on: 2011/9/27 7:37
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts carry over from previous year.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I have a '54 clipper deluxe with an electric antenna. I have the newer style guage cluster without the 3 individual round gauges. The super is a fancier model, but for some reason they kept the guages from the prior year. The push pull knob all the way to the left does operate the antenna on my car. So - no those are probably the original guages.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 9:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe some (all?) of the 54 commercial chassis (hearse, ambulance) carried over the 1953-style instrument panel.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For some reason the 5411 chassis (supers) and the 5433 military ambulance kept the older #410918 instrument cluster used from 51-3.

The only factory dash mounted push-pull accessory switch would have been the antenna. The location on the left was suggested by Packard and bezel was shaped for that dash location. In actual fact unless it came from the factory installed, it could be anywhere. By using ingenuity or a different year or models bezel or mount, dealer could have located antenna (or rear speaker control) anywhere on the dash where space was available and customer wanted them.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.41 KB)
209_4e81ecc6c81d9.jpg 380X53 px

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The '54 Clipper Special and the Deluxe used the newer "sweeping" dash cluster., while the '54 Clipper Super and the Commerical Chassis reused the '53 style "3-hole gauge" cluster.

This also applies the wheels and brakes as well.

There is a Service Bulletin that covers this topic as well.

So if you have a Deluxe with a 3-Hole cluster, then someone swapped it at some point, from either a Super or a '53 car.

Here is the dash layout template that shows where all the switches should be mounted:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/9/27 11:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved