Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

BigKev, Soybeanfarmer1 , kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Do you have to pack/oil the rear wheel bearings?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We had a nifty local end-of-season trip yesterday in which I was chauffeured by a pair of good friends. I sat in the back seat and attempted to look baronial....

I heard some noise from possibly the rear end or a wheel bearing. I had my car lubed "for every known long interval oil/grease point" last year, but can't remember doing anything to the rear axle/gears/bearings.

Should the rear end lubricant bechanged every now and then? With what? Do you pack the rear wheel bearings? What is the suggested maintenance here?

And any other advice EXCEPT how be more baronial/regal......

Thanx!

Posted on: 2011/11/7 13:43
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Do you have to pack/oil the rear wheel bearings?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No fitting to lube, they have to be disassembled and packed by hand. I would have it done if don't know the last time it was. Also fully inspect all the bearings to make sure all the rollers and races are in good shape. Also while you have it apart replace the inner and outer grease seals. Then you should be good for at least another 30k miles.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 13:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pat, sorry but I forget if you have a 55 or a 56. Kev's advice is right on target in you have a 55 (Packard-built rear axle). If you don't know when the rear wheel bearings were last inspected and repacked, then they are due now and every 20,000 miles by the book but probably more frequently for a collector car with long idle periods. But if you have a 56 (Dana-built axle) they are permanently sealed bearings and require no maintenance - when they get noisy you replace them.

Change rear axle gear oil every couple of seasons. PS - SAE85-140 EP gear oil is available from many refiners and is a suitable gear oil for all 1955 and 1956 non-TT axle. I don't have a recommendation for the 1956 TT (Power Lock) differential.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I suggest soaking the bearing in paint thinner to loosen and dissolve all of the grease. Then cleaning with fresh thinner and a soft brush - changing the thinner as required until all is cleaned.

Blow dry with compressed air. When inspecting look for bad spots on the bearings or for damaged races. If there are any replace.

Happy noiseless motoring.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Mine os a 56....

The parts Xref does not liat either rear wheel bearings or the "race" part....or is that included.

Anyone have a specific modern part number or numbers here?

Posted on: 2011/11/12 1:14
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The rear wheel bearings in 1956 are not the type you can disassemble to repack; they are of a one-piece design, permanently lubricated and sealed. You simply have the old one pressed off the axle shaft and have a new bearing and lock ring pressed onto the shaft and off you go, no adjustments, no future repacking. I don't have a bearing number handy but they are commonly available. Certainly Max and Kanters have them and if you take the bearing number from your old one, new ones a probably half the price at a bearing store or autoparts depot.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look at the service manual (56 SUPPLEMENT). IT explains the rear axle. In addition to new wheel bearings new bearing retainer rings will most likely be needed to and seals.

Altho the service manual indicates a "sealed bearing" is used it is possible that the bearing is NOT sealed and/or was replaced at one time with a bearing NOT sealed. Let us know what u find out on the bearing as to whether or not it is a sealed bearing or open type.

The noise could also be the carrier bearings on each side of the differential gear set.

Does the rear axle leak any oil at all and where from????

Posted on: 2011/11/12 10:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for a modern bearing part number i don;t have one either.

Unless someone comes up with such a number then u'll have to remove the old bearing first, use the number from that bearing (if oem bearing NUMBER it won't do much good) to cross into a modern number. Local auto parts store can certainely do it. Your mechanic should be very familiar with the process of crossing bearing numbers into modern numbers. Hopefully the bearing has been replaced sometime over the last 25 years and the number on the existing bearing is still active.

When u do find a replacement bearing look on the bearing itself. It should have a number stamped/engraved on it.

Add number to our x-ref.

Let us know the current bearing number when u get it out and whether or not it is sealed or not sealed.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 11:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since there is no outer seal, don't even think about getting an open bearing - get the right one - and yes you'll want a new lock ring as well which should come with the bearing.

Timken 88128 per the PI Interchange Manual which is based on Hollander's. Picture enclosed of one of my spare axles, lock ring is just above the bearing. A hydraulic press is required to fit.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.65 KB)
177_4ebea1ee34116.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/11/12 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RE: Outer Seal.

See Packard Service Manual, REar Axle section, 56th Series Supplement, page 11, Rite hand column.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 11:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved