Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

new member needs some repair info
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jim B
See User information
I am working on a 48 Packard standard 8 sedan for a customer where I work at.I need to remove the blower motor switch for repair/replacement.Looking under the dash I can see no way to access the switch w/o removing the complete switch & radio assy. first.I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me the correct way to access the switch for replacement.Love working on old cars but sometimes correct info can be hard to find.joined this site hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.owner has a ser. manual but this is not covered in it.we work on this car on a regular basis so I need a good source for accurate info. Thanks for any help or ideas. Jim B.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 19:12
 Top  Print   

Re: new member needs some repair info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been a long time and hopefully one of the 22-3 guys will correct me if wrong but I believe the switches are on a support plate held by two screws. I think only the heater vent controls may have to move to access the screws & plate and then the switch assy will drop down.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim B,
to PackardInfo. Usually I request new members, when they first post, to include their Packards in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo but seeing you aren't the owner I can't do that directly. However if the owner is a PackardInfo Member or becomes one then he could include his '48 Standard Eight Sedan himslf! Do you know if he's a memeber? If not, maybe you could inform him about the Site?

Posted on: 2012/3/8 1:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Been a long time and hopefully one of the 22-3 guys will correct me if wrong but I believe the switches are on a support plate held by two screws. I think only the heater vent controls may have to move to access the screws & plate and then the switch assy will drop down.

HH56 is correct

You will need to drop the heater and vent controls and then remove the two special barrel shaped nuts that hold the switch mounting plate to the dash.
Access will be better if you remove the heater plenum and the radio.
Be sure to disconnect the battery as the original wiring will be brittle and the insulation may crack and fall off when you pull the mounting plate off the studs on the dash.
I've attached some photos to show how the mounting plate and switches attach to the dash.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.81 KB)
1137_4f585c6ece89e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.31 KB)
1137_4f585c8833c28.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.20 KB)
1137_4f585ca803fa5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/8 2:15
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jim B
See User information
many thanks to those who replied to my question.switch is repaired & working like new.piece of cake once you know how it comes apart.when I talk to the owner I will tell him about this site.I;m sure he will be interested since he is really into his Packard.great site w/a lot of good info & pictures.Once again,a big thank you for the help. waiting for some tools I ordered to rebuild the WDO carb,then she will be back on the road again. Jim B.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
This is all such good information, as I will soon have to tear into my switch assembly to repair the funky action on the headlight switch. Great photos. I guess once I get it apart, I'll figure out just how the push buttons actuate the switches, as my problem is purely mechanical.

BTW, I just rebuilt my WDO, and if you go to my Project Blog you may be able to get some useful tips. Be sure to note there are TWO identical gaskets between the throttle body and the main housing. that alone may save you 15 minutes depending on who you bought the kit from.

J

Posted on: 2012/3/9 9:14
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank for any info on my 48 Deluxe. - I may need to remove the head light switch and circuit breaker. Do I have to remove the entire switch assembly to get to the light switch and breaker. I think the breaker may have quit. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/14 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
We have determined that I have current on both sides of the circuit breaker. So, I guess I will be pulling the switch assembly out to look at the headlight switch. Does anyone know what usually goes wrong with the switch- mechanical or dirty or what ? A diagram or picture of the inside of switch would be helpful - Thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/19 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Well - I'm getting a little closer with my light problem. Today I dropped the switch assembly - I have current to the incoming and outgoing sides of the circuit breaker. Still hard to get to with the wires attached At first , didnt show current to the metal plate that connects to the headlight switch - but, now it does. So, must be dirty connection or bad switch. I'll keep at it .

Posted on: 2013/2/18 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Does anyone know what the amperage should be TO the headlight switch from the circuit breaker ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved