Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

fram paper filter for the 53 intake
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Im going to put a 53 air cleaner on my 52 as part of a carb swap ,I heard theres a FRAM paper filter thall fit in it ,thats better than the oil system ,does anyone know the part number ?

Posted on: 2012/4/15 20:16
 Top  Print   

Re: fram paper filter for the 53 intake
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
On the fram website there is a filter finder tool that you can out in the size that you need and it will spit out a part number.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 20:19
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Make the switch to a paper element for the sake of convenience if you wish, but not because it's a better filter than a properly-maintained oil bath air filter. They are VERY effective air cleaners but do require maintenance periodically, just as the paper element requires replacement periodically. Where there is no significant benefit to be gained, I'd stay with the original were it my car.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I would agree with O'D on the "stick with the original properly maintained oil bath if you can". I find that the paper filters are no better in filtration and are noisier in operation, particularly when you give the throttle a mashing at the lights. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/4/16 3:15
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Not sure what the difference is in filters between models, but my '53 doesn't gave an oil bath. It just has the oiled mesh kind with the muffler under it. I run a paper filter in my car 'cuz it seems better than potentially sucking in what looks like shavings collected from the lathe...No doudt, though, that oil baths are the way to go if that is indeed what you have.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 2:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Senior models had oil bath, juniors had oiled mesh. What you see as loose lathe turnings is a woven copper or copperized mesh, not unlike the "Chore Boy" kitchen scrubbing pads. You can purchase new copper mesh from Classic & Exotic if needed.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
John lawrence has done alot of work on this subject. I used a purolator a30057 in my 47 Packard worked great. Check Fram web site for cross ref.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D is correct in that the oil bath type air cleaners are most efficient at filtering air.

I changed to a modern pleated paper type filter element for convenience. One of the jobs I least like to do is clean an oil bath air cleaner. It takes a large container to hold the solvent and to immerse the filter.

I have the oil bath filter units stored in a plastic bags so that they can be cleaned and reinstalled, should I change my mind or for the next owners.

The fitting of a paper filter elements involves no permanent changes. I have not noticed any change in noise levels, nor can I detect any performance or mileage increases. They were changed for convenience. The changes are not visible in the '47 and '55 cars.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/18 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Maybe I missed it, but the oil bath is more efficient than a paper filter. Is the oil mess more efficient as well?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 13:44
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oiled mesh, even if well-maintained, is almost certainly less efficient that paper. One of the reasons an oil bath that makes is so efficient is that the air flow must make several severe changes in direction and the heavier dirt particles are unable to do so and end up in the oil basket. Then above that you've got the oiled vegetable fiber (typically from the kapok tree) to catch any remaining particles.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 14:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved