Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front seat removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I am going to pull the front seat this weekend to see what portions of the floor needs to be replaced. The seat is so low to the floor any suggestions on the best way to get it out? Again thanks upfront for the help I appreciate it!

Posted on: 2012/6/29 9:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Front seat removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Pull the seat cushion and that will expose the sliders. The seat frame is attached to the sliders with three nuts on each side. There should be a large spring connecting the seat frame to the car floor that will have to be disconnected. Remove the nuts and the seat frame will lift out of the car.

Note: the seat is 'back heavy' and will fall towards the backseat when the last nut is removed. You may want to support it. Don't forget to disconnect any wiring to the cigar lighter and courtesy lights. This is based on a 22nd/23rd series but I'm pretty sure it's the same.

One person can remove the cushion but removal of the seat frame with the back cushion still installed is (in my opinion) a two-person job.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Actually, now that I think about it, simply pulling the seat cushion may give you enough access if you just need to inspect the flooring under the seat.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I concur that it's a two person job to remove without possibility of damage to you or the car. If you don't have that second person & have a cherry picker, have used that more than once to remove them. Just need a nylon strap, plenty of space on the side and make sure nothing greasy from the hoist is close to the car.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
JD thanks for the info you made my day! That makes much more sense i was looking under and wondering how the heck i to get to the bolts! i pulled the seat cushion off and it is pretty interesting i found the side mirror for the car which i am super excited about and i found this card(pic attached) from either 1956 or 1958 about flower shows in Chicago. Crazy to think that has been under the seat since the 50's!

Attach file:

jpg  (51.17 KB)
4600_4fedc9517fe5d.jpg 1024X764 px

Posted on: 2012/6/29 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
JD & 56 are right. Simple enough, and remembering when i had my seats out so we could redo the carpets, upholstery,
wonder why oh why oh why couldn't Packard have used aluminum for the front and rear seat frames. That alone would've saved 100-150 lbs. It's not like sophisticated automakers didn't appreciate the value of saving weight in a serious road car, which Packards were. Railton was notorious for shaving dead weight, and Bentley's aerodynamic, streamlined if not as well as our 1941-47 Clippers 1939 Corniche saloon was a precursor to the lightweight R- and S-Type Continentals.

Our Packards are already 100-200 lbs. lighter than accordant Cadillacs and Buicks, with more torque and with overdrive, longer legs; the best chassis in the industry.

Given the steel shortages immediately after the war, you wonder why East Grand couldn't have jigged up for aluminum in heavy items like seat frames.

Ah, well. I decry Monday morning quarterbacking and here i go.

G'luck getting the front and rear bottom seat cushions to slip back in. Always seemed to be a tussle in my '47 Super.

If you haven't yet, install at least front seatbelts.
Because the front seatback is a solid steel shell, you'll have to slot it, and artfully rim it with rubber hose so it doesn't chafe the seatbelt. Anchor the belts securely using huge washers beneath the floor.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 16:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved