Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

greybeard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

REAR SEAT SPEAKER
Just popping in
Just popping in

RON ROBBEL
See User information
I have a 55 Packard Clipper Constellation and recently acquired all the parts to install the rear seat speaker accessory. However, when the radio shop connected the rear seat speaker the radio tubes started to glow red hot. That didn't appear to be correct. I have been searching for a wiring diagram or instructions as I may be missing an additional amplifer or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Bend, OR
541-389-7329

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:06
 Top  Print   

Re: REAR SEAT SPEAKER
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unfortunately the 55-6 manual isn't too specific on the rear speaker. Packard used same setup in earlier years so there is a schematic in the 51-4 manual. I'd copy the instructions but there is a bit of differences so might be confusing.

Assuming you have the factory fader switch, there will be a shielded cable with a male and female connector at one end of the cable. A single wire will go from the switch to the rear speaker. The shield gets grounded and connections made at power side radio chassis on the passenger side behind the name and emblem. The connectors are just a smooth side push on type relying on friction to stay connected. The existing speaker wire is removed from the transformer and connected to the female connector from switch. The male connector on the shielded cable goes back into the transformer terminal.

What you are doing is taking the speaker signal and connecting a rheostat in the middle to divide between two speakers. There is only one wire connected to either speaker and car body supplies the ground return.

Here's the schematic and a couple of photos showing the location of the wire to be removed and reconnected.

If you need a schematic of the 55 radio, there is one available for download here

Attach file:

jpg  (19.59 KB)
209_5033d5a1669d4.jpg 559X331 px

jpg  (37.87 KB)
209_5033d5afba40a.jpg 640X475 px

jpg  (35.03 KB)
209_5033d5b92facf.jpg 640X496 px

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ron,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Constellation in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Ron:

They must be doing something wrong. When I was a kid I was always hooking speakers up to radios by the boxfull. I still have one that I use on the television set. I found a transformer that doubles as a half to full wave ground for the antenna. It totally improves reception and sound quality.

I would check the resistance of the front Packard speaker. Maybe it has some crazy resistance like 16 ohms. Speakers need to be impedance matched. Although, I was never able to get tubes to light up like light bulbs by adding speakers.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
I was never able to get tubes to light up like light bulbs by adding speakers.

I wasn't either and I played with old radios all the time. Not to be depressing, I doubt that it did your tubes any good either.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 15:05
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved