Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Capone's 1930 Packard on Craig's List
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I'm not buying it, all the VIN plates I've seen are hand stamped and the letter spacing is always off a bit. That plate looks to be engraved professionally and then bolted to the firewall from the inside.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
A few years ago when I tried to help the man sell the car,
I would always mention the date plate with the name on it, but was always carefull that the man had no documentaon as to the validity of the plate. I just think that it is unique, factual or not. As to whether or not Packard would have engraved it and attached it, I will leave to others, but I hardly think that Packard would have avoided selling a car to old Scarface just because of his reputation. Their business was selling cars not making social commentary.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 16:57
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Although hardly conclusive... not one stamped character on that plate is using the Packard font including the vehicle number.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 22:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
not one stamped character on that plate is using the Packard font including the vehicle number

I don't think that means anything. I have copies of plates from many 7th series and earlier cars and the vehicle numbers are not done with the Packard font - it's a good question when that began, I'd guess at the 9th series but I'll look further into that. I've never seen the dealer-stamped info (selling dealer, city, date) in Packard's font.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I read a post from you back in 2009 where you indicated that the Packard font was listed in the ATF catalog as early as 1923. I made an assumption (probably incorrect) based on that date. Anyway... disregard my post... I should know better by now than to comment on anything earlier than 1941.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My American Type Founders listing shows Packard (style 348) and Packard Bold (style 453) both listed as of 1923. As I said before it's a really good question as to when Packard began to use that font for their vehicle numbers and I'm going to ask Jim Balfour who has made these VN plates a long-time study. I believe he has examples and photos all the way back to the very first years of Packard.

I'll ammend this post when I get an answer.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In your font book, does it show or mention the script used on the 56 Clippers as was asked by another poster a few days ago?

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, I'd think that was probably either covered by a design patent (DE-XXXX) or a registered trademark but I have no info on that. I do have a listing of all U.S. patents assigned to Packard from 1899 to just prior to the Studebaker debacle, but it does not include design patents and in any case stops sort of 1956. Someday I hope to write an article for The Packard Club on these patents.

My we have gone far afield here; it's often interesting to see where these threads lead us.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My we have gone far afield here; it's often interesting to see where these threads lead us.

So true and one of the reasons a search of the site is sometimes frustrating or fruitless.

But---- For my I'd much rather have the free flowing discussions we have here where info of all kinds comes out in bits and spurts --sometimes totally unrelated to the subject-- rather than some regimented forum where someone may not see a particular topic and therefore not contribute his knowledge.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 11:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
HH56

Amen brother.

ALK

Posted on: 2012/11/26 11:14
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved