Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Electromatic Trans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I need a little help on how to send a PM, Mr Peterson, not sure how to do that.

If you're logged in and see a poster you wish to send a PM, clicking on the person's name will bring up his profile. If the person's name isn't visible on the forum you are viewing you will have to find his profile. I'm not sure how to access profiles directly without finding a name on a post. Maybe someone can enlighten us both on that one.

Once the profile is found clicking on the PM button in the profile will bring up another window and screen to write the PM. Here is West's profile so you won't have to look for ithttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=404 Just click on the PM button and compose your question.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 16:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Sheriff Law -- Just a thought, since weight is the enemy in any road car, see if you can find a pair of spare 16-inch tires, and place just those ---no steel wheels-- in your front fender wells, then mount the sheet metal covers over them. Packards are already nose heavy, and sidemounts add considerable weight. So if you like the look of sidemounts, but are going to carry a spare tire and wheel in the trunk anyway, give the above a whirl. Why saddle that beauty with extraneous dead weight? Let her fly.

The Electromatic clutch in my '47 Super Clipper was rebuilt and i drove it engaged a few times before tiring of the robotic aspect. That, and whenever you're at a long light with Electromatic on, your clutch pedal is automatically depressed, something i never do in any manual shift car wanting to preserve the throw out bearing,
which may be inexpensive but replacing it is a major job, esp. in Packards having that cross member which must be unbolted.

Don't forget, Electromatic was only Packard's frantic counter to GM's HydraMatic. IMHO, Packards are first and foremost luxe road cars, so nonsense like automatic or semi-automatic transmissions, air conditioning, which do n o t h i n g for performance tho' may've been necessary in the day to remain competitive in the marketplace, are gewgaws discerning motorists wisely eschew.

As for oil, since your engine was rebuilt and is in good shape, you can't go wrong with any premium brand 10W/30 detergent and again, all major brand motor oils are essentially like aspirin, tho' i use Kendall GT1, and as i and others have explained elsewhere here, don't waste your money on "ZDDP" additives and such nonsense.

Funny you mention your car barreling down the highway like a "Greyhound bus." My old mechanic, who worked on cars like ours after serving as staff sergeant of various motor pools in the War II Pacific, once described a 356 Clipper he roadtested after a tune up in the late '40s as racing along "....like a Greyhound bus."

Posted on: 2013/5/27 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
The reason that I used that comparison to a "Gray Hound Bus" is, I pull up along side of one and looked over to the driver and I was looking him straight in the "eye" LOL

Posted on: 2013/5/27 17:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...see if you can find a pair of spare 16-inch tires, and place just those ---no steel wheels-- in your front fender wells, then mount the sheet metal covers over them. Packards are already nose heavy, and sidemounts add considerable weight. So if you like the look of sidemounts, but are going to carry a spare tire and wheel in the trunk anyway, give the above a whirl.

Packard owners faced a similar situation during WWII, due to material shortages and gov't regulations. In fact, the 37-42 Service Index shows a topic on eliminating the sidemounted spare tires, while preserving the appearance of carriers - linked to a newsletter with an article that offers a couple of additional methods.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

johnlaw wrote:
I need a little help on how to send a PM, Mr Peterson, not sure how to do that.

Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...I'm not sure how to access profiles directly without finding a name on a post. Maybe someone can enlighten us both on that one...

If you only have a user name to go on... and no posting to click on, you can do the following.

1. In the left-hand column, click on 'Private Messaging'.
2. A new page will appear with your incoming messages [if any]. At the bottom, click on the 'Send' button.
3. A pop-up box will appear. Click on 'Search' in the first section.
4. Another pop-up will appear. Leave the option 'Name' as is and type 'west peterson' in the text box.
5. Click on the 'Search' button.
6. You should get the response 'West Peterson' 1 found.
7. Click on the 'Add' button.
8. You should be given a message creation form that is now addressed to West Peterson.
9. Fill out the subject and message box then click on the submit button.
10. You're done.

Quote:

BH wrote:
Packard owners faced a similar situation during WWII, due to material shortages and gov't regulations. In fact, the 37-42 Service Index shows a topic on eliminating the sidemounted spare tires, while preserving the appearance of carriers...

That's exactly what I plan to do with my '41 180 Limo... Just the sidemount fenders that I purchased and the covers... no actual tires/wheels mounted inside.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 23:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just wondering if you ever found the switch and if so could you tell us where or post a photo for the next guy that needs the information.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 21:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved