Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Don B, Tristar500, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard plant up for auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I came across this article on the auction of the Packard plant. Looks to have a starting bid of almost One Million Dollars.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/detroits-historic-packard-plant-headed-to-auction.html

Posted on: 2013/6/5 23:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard plant up for auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"When they built these, they built them like the pyramids, to last forever, not knowing how strong the material was" ...says a self-appointed expert about Albert Kahn, who is considered no less than

" ...the foremost American industrial architect of his day..." [wikipedia].

Posted on: 2013/6/6 2:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
$24,000 per acre is pretty steep. If they want jobs they should reconsider their politics for the last 75 years.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I think the analysis of the buildings' structures is a tad too optimisitic. From the recent photos that I have seen, the buildings have suffered extensive damage over years of neglect. Just replacing all of the broken glass would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, not to mention restoration of the buildings themselves and other issues like electricity and water connections.

This plant was built to produce automobiles. I think it would have a lot of trouble accommodating the demands and robotics necessary in modern automobile plants, not to mention the fact that I seriously doubt any sane automaker would choose to restore a tumble-down plant in Detroit, then face the prospects of having to deal with the United Auto Workers Union to boot! Not when they could acquire acreage in Mississippi or Alabama at a quarter of the asking prioe of the Packard plant, and then be able to build exactly what they need and not have to bother with the unions.

Detroit seems to be living in some sort of a time warp in which its city leaders cannot see the reality all around them. The Grand Boulevard Plant is symptomatic of the overall condition of the city; that is, Detroit has degenerated into a Third-World city, but it is asking Tokyo prices for its properties. Maybe before the current mayor heads off for his obligatory stint in jail, he should consider trying to incentivise businesses to stay in the city and attract new businesses by lowering taxes and improving services.

But what are the odds ...

Posted on: 2013/6/6 13:25
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even if someone actually did have the money and the will to do something, what about the neighborhood or surrounding properties. If the area is so bad that it's recommended not to travel alone or even leave your car, what's the odds one cleaned up property will do much. I would hope Detroit has a plan two because I don't see that property turning around soon -- even if they gave it away for $1 and forgave all the taxes.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 14:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Probably going to be environmental clean up required. God knows what probably got dumped or spilled around there over the years. Probably spend a couple million just hauling away the trash and debris. I think the scrappers have cut out so many of the structural supports that I am surprised it still standing. Isn't most of the property condemned?

Posted on: 2013/6/6 14:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The environmental concern is real but there are reasonable and established ways to handle a "brownfield" site. The structure has negative value, as pointed out. So it's worth the going rate for the acreage + scrap value of the buildings - cost to clear the site. And if that's less than the taxes owed, that's too bad for the city. I would think that anyone interested in the site would hit up the city for a sizeable tax concession, because many other possible locations would be willing to sweeten the deal.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
BKAZMER:

What you have suggested is completely rational, astute, and in any other ciy with a comparable property for sale, this would likely be considered and probably accepted. But keep in mind that we're talking about Detroit, where common sense, business-friendly government has ceased to exist. Detroit is wavering on the edge of bankruptcy, but cannot do what it takes to save itself and is counting on Uncle Sam to ride in to the rescue.

I wonder what J.W. Packard, Joy, Macauley, et al would think of the city that put Packard on top of American luxury car market and all of the other major manufacturers to the No. 1 car-making country in the world by the 1960s. It would likely break their hearts, but I suspect that they would be smart enough to leave the city and set up shop either in the South or in Mexico or Canada.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 16:17
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was last there right before the "Packard Door" facade was auctioned off. (By the way, what ever happend to that???)

Posted on: 2013/6/6 16:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The Packard Motor Car Foundation was able to acquire one set of doors from the the Boulevard Plant. Currently it is stored at the Packard Proving Grounds. There are future plans to re-install the doors at the PPG.

Cone to the 2013 PAC National Meet and see it for yourself.

In the lower left hand corner you can barely make out the commode from the President's private bathroom. We have plans for that too.

Unfortunately, many other artifacts got away from us at that auction.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.19 KB)
436_51b107749b61f.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2013/6/6 17:04
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved