Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Ozstatman, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: R-11 overdrive electrical troubleshooting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An OD-equipped car will only free-wheel when the OD is activated.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Just to clarify the overdrive operation, yes it will freewheel when the mechanical lever is in the operating position by having the cable pushed in and before the overdrive is engaged electrically by the solenoid with the lockout switch closed.
It does not freewheel once in overdrive and engine braking will be available until the unit drops out of overdrive by speed dropping below the governor setting around 20 mph or by the lockout switch being opened to disengage it electrically.
Freewheeling is definitely a hazard to be aware of when driving in hilly country and a lockout switch separate from the lockout cable adds another element of risk.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"As I understand it, if the OD cable is pulled out and the lockout switch is turned off (toggle switch on mine) then the car is now just a 3 speed manual transmission. (Question) will it free wheel in this configuration? or only when the OD is engaged?"

Dave,

Will free wheel only when the OD is engaged. When the OD is disengaged, as you say, it's "now just a 3 speed manual transmission".

Posted on: 2016/1/26 23:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I operate my R11 with a toggle switch (breaks the signal from the governor to the relay). I don't have a kickdown switch. I almost never pull the cable out as I find it not necessary for travel on todays roads. If I need the extra oomph for climbing a hill or such I just flip the switch and touch the clutch and I'm out of OD. Anyway sometimes although rarely when I park the car and put it in 1st gear it can roll away. Therefore I always set the hand brake and try to remember to put it in reverse.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 14:07
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved