Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Can anybody help me with these?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
When I was fighting with the cross-member of my '39 last fall, I ended up having to undo the brake/clutch shaft from the frame to be able to get at one nut. The assembly kind of came apart on me and in as much as I had been so careful about bagging and tagging all the parts as they came off, these two springs ended up on the floor and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how they go back. Two questions: 1) which is for the brake and which is the clutch spring and, 2) can anyone advise me as to where/how they attach?? There is a 'U'-shaped bracket that actuates the clutch and it has a hole in the center, that may be one point of contact, not sure where the other end hooks to, or which springs which. A photo or parts explosion would be extremely helpful. Huge thanks to any willing to help.

Attach file:

jpg  (211.96 KB)
121627_5c91a30d100cd.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2019/3/19 21:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Can anybody help me with these?????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the bottom illustration in the parts manual for a 39 or is it any help on the clutch spring? It is usually a fairly heavy spring.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=16&PlateNumber=2408&partslist=1935-1941

The brake spring usually goes on the same post that connects to the master cylinder push rod or someplace very close to that point and anchors toward the direction that spring tension will want to pull the pedal upright. Generally it is lighter and longer than the clutch pedal spring.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 21:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Howard,
Based on what you provided, I am guessing the spring with the longer tails and shorter spring body looks the most like the clutch return?? I got in there with a good light and looked all over and couldn't 'get happy' with hook points. I will check the base of the clutch pedal tomorrow and see if there is a tang at the base like the picture shows. Even if I can find one end on them, the opposite anchor point might become self evident by just feeding the spring back and looking around. So far, I haven't been able to make any obvious deductions. I am hoping someone might post a pick of the setup on their car??

Posted on: 2019/3/20 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

Going further than just the illustration, Looking at Group 3.101 it is in the Electromatic section and lists only one spring (#335262) for both 17th, 18th & 19th Senior Series cars AND also particularly for 18th Series Junior cars with the Borg & Beck Clutch.

Question for 'Newbie: Does your '39 Six have a B & B Clutch? If it doesn't, your linkage and spring attachment point may be different.

Tried to attach a screen shot of the Group and Part Numbers but having difficulty doing so.

Probably shooting my mouth off (again!), so please be gentle if I've jumped the wrong way.

Posted on: 2019/3/20 5:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Plugs1
See User information
I don't know if this will help you, but these are pictures that I just took of my 1940 120 springs. If I can attach them, they might give you an idea of where they hook. Good luck

Attach file:

jpg  (144.84 KB)
57439_5c923f9aba607.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (195.45 KB)
57439_5c923fb213acc.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (113.93 KB)
57439_5c923fc542041.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  (151.14 KB)
57439_5c923fe361097.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/3/20 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for weighing in Mal; I have to be honest - I don't know how to ascertain if I have a Borg & Beck clutch setup!?!?!?
Richard (Plugs1) - thanks a million for the pics. I will print them and take them with me when I go to the car today. I think by carefully matching up your contact points, I should be able to figure it out. Really appreciate you doing that. Just as a side note, in the last picture you posted, the 'bastard-stud' that I spent all the time on, can be seen. Whoever R&R'd your cross member left the nut off!!! Smart guy! You have no idea the time I spent both removing and then reattaching a lock washer and nut on that stud! I guess with all the attachment points on that support (I think there are about a dozen studs/bolts) it really wouldn't make any difference if it's there or not, but I am so stupid-fussy about stuff like that, I just can't make myself leave it!! LOL Thanks again, man. Chris

Posted on: 2019/3/20 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks to the pictures that Richard (Plugs1) posted, I was able to figure out my Brake return spring 100%. The clutch spring however, is a different matter. Maybe they're different from '39 to '40, but I spent hours trying to anticipate how the spring should be returning the pedal and could not see an obvious solution. I also discovered the clutch linkage was horribly worn with so much play in it, I am surprised I was actually able to effect disengagement. I eventually drilled out the holes and inserted some brass bushing stock and was able to get the assembly working with pretty much zero-play. I am really hoping someone with a '39 will help me out with the two attachment points of the clutch return spring. I did kind of install the spring in a somewhat 'jury rigged' manner, with one end around the actual pedal shaft and then led it back through a bit of a cavity in the body, hooking it to a hole in the frame. It does return the pedal but is obviously not right as when I depress the pedal I can hear it grating and 'pattoinging' on the sheet metal. Can anybody steer me straight here????

Posted on: 2019/3/20 20:35
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Plugs1
See User information
I'm glad that they were a little help. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Posted on: 2019/3/21 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
This post has probably fallen by the wayside as 'read and handled', and I DID get the brake spring figured out. But, try as I might, I cannot suss the clutch spring. Imploring anyone with a '39 Six to post a pic or two of theirs so I can reattach it properly. Really need your help! Thanks. Chris

Posted on: 2019/3/22 0:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
I have a 41 six coupe dont know if you want too see that????

Posted on: 2019/3/22 10:13
Pat and Melanie Westerkamp

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved