Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
324 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 322

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Electricaal issue ..41 Packard no current
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’ve had ‘50s era Packards with that type too and like them because it’s easy to tell if the advance working!!

Posted on: 2023/6/10 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Jimmyk wrote:
Ok…new old stock unit being delivered Wednesday I’ll update thanks!

New old stock (NOS) may not be the best solution. The diaphragm material will deteriorate over time. An old, never used, unit may not work for very long, if at all. There are rebuilt ones available which use modern materials and will serve for a long time.

Posted on: 2023/6/11 13:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
So for back to Packard..new vacuum advance in and works great…carb is set correctly I believe and car runs well…however when I drive for about 30 minutes And park it …it won’t start up again ? It’s turning over and it’s not flooding….when I hold the choke plate all the way open it will start right up…or if I wait a couple hours it will start right up…it’s the wa-1 automatic choke…I’m not sure what’s happening to the choke when the car comes to rest…the choke plate is almost all the way open in this situation and needs only to be pushed the rest of way open to start…assuming it’s not getting enough air after turning engine off? Any help appreciated

Posted on: 2023/7/4 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That sounds like the choke is set too rich. It should be FULLY open after a half hour drive and it should STAY wide open for at least several minutes when the car is shut down hot after a drive of several miles.

If holding the choke open allows the car to start, that points directly to an overchoking situation. (Flooding)

Normally, in summer weather, the automatic choke will rapidly open part way as soon as the engine starts and be fully open within a minute or so of starting the engine for the first time.

It should stay wide open during normal operation.

It should not begin to close for some time after a hot shut down in warm weather.

The engine normally would not need any choking in warm weather after a brief shut down.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Older carbureted cars tend to flood after being shut down in hot weather.

Your car may flood after a hot shut down due to the gasoline blend, or a heat riser valve that is sticky or otherwise not functioning properly, missing carb heat insulator or heat shields, high elevation, hot weather, choke adjustment too rich, choke not operating properly for any reason, float level too high, any internal leakage in the carburetor, etc.

Before doing anything else, try driving the car for 10 miles or so during the heat of the day, then shut it off just as you did before when you had starting problems.

If it won't start immediately,
hold the gas pedal to the floor, then crank the engine while continuing to hold the pedal to the floor. Do not pump the pedal. Keep it to the floor.

If the engine is flooded, which is likely, this procedure should allow it to start within 15 seconds of cranking.

Holding the gas pedal down allows maximum air inflow and it will also hold the automatic choke wide open.

If the engine doesn't start within 15 seconds of cranking, stop cranking, but keep the gas pedal to the floor and wait about 20 seconds, then try again. Doing that will allow the starter to cool off.

Posted on: 2023/7/4 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok got it…I will try taking it out tomorrow and do the tests..thanks ! Will get back with results

Posted on: 2023/7/4 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok ran it 10 miles and turned it off..then started it up immediately and it started right up….waited 10 minutes and it would not start….help pedal down and after about 7 seconds of coughing it started right up! So you weee correct! Is there something I should do to correct this or just leave as is knowing it will start…also I changed out the wa-1 530s carb for an exact replacement….when I installled new carb there is a plastic black part with copper spring under it held in by a single screw..my old carb was missing this piece and spring it only had the screw still in it…I attached photo wondering what this is and do I have to do anything more with it? Thanks very much for the help…

Attach file:

jpeg  65C2A575-6580-4DAB-9C45-BBEFF05CD783.jpeg (212.30 KB)
191389_64a59f7a042ae.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/5 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The black part in the photo is the carb starter switch used on cars with accelerator pedal start. Believe Packard began using that starting method in 42 models.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok thanks mine is 41 so maybe it’s not used…a

Posted on: 2023/7/5 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t speak for Clipper but 1941 still had the dash push button for the starter so the carburetor you have is for a later model and may not be calibrated properly for your engine. Needles and jet sizes varied from year to year and model to model.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 12:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved