Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

RKS, John Wogec, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

23rd series tail light removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Has anyone removed the tail lamps on a 23rd series?. If so can you tell me what I need to do to accomplish this?. I was going to rebuild the sockets.

Dave O.

Posted on: 2023/7/15 14:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd series tail light removal
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There should be nuts that hold the housing on from inside the fender. If unknown to last time of removal, then a douse of penetrator should be considered.

Posted on: 2023/7/15 16:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Yes,I removed the two bolts. But that only gave it a little wiggle. I can see another bolt down there through the light housing
It looks like it is attached to the rear side trim, but it is definitely not going to move. And I'm not going to attempt that bolt until someone who has removed this light can tell me how to. Thanks anyway.

Posted on: 2023/7/15 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It's been a while, so I don't recall, and they're still off so I'll go down later and look at the parts for the bolt holes and the manual. Take photos.
I know there's a big rubber gasket for the glass lens and the socket attached at the reflector.
Mine, 2365 (deluxe), does not have any other trim attached, so maybe your model is different.

There's 4 studs to be loosened. See photos.

Attach file:

jpg  P7170060.JPG (214.77 KB)
13733_64b5789d8e733.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  P7170061.JPG (194.17 KB)
13733_64b578ba7d8c8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/17 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thanks so much for your effort. I can rebuild the sockets without removing the light housing. However it would be very nice to know for the future. There are only two visible bolts on my car not four. But after removing the two bolts, the upper bolt removal gave to vision another bolt at a terrible slant through the tail light housing heading towards the reflector trim piece. I don't currently have any tool that would get there. I'd have to make one. But first I want to know if this bolt needs to be removed. Please don't go nuts over this. Since your car seems to be different than mine, as you have four bolts. I'm not sure its worth your valuable effort.

Posted on: 2023/7/17 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As far as I know all 23rd series lights had four bolts so maybe one of yours is missing. Four bolts were needed to pull it evening against the rubber seal.

Posted on: 2023/7/17 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I'll send you a picture of what I am working with. So far I only see two attachments. Give me a day or so.

Thanks all;

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/7/17 21:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I see looking at a few tail light assys on ebay, and in the parts book it is an assembly consisting of several pieces. A chrome outer pod and a bulb reflector or housing assy consisting of a rear housing, lens, thin cushioning gasket, and socket. On some models there is a side piece.

The reflector housing, lens and gasket are held in the pod by two small screws that thread into the pod with only the lens visible from the outside. The socket is held in the reflector housing by some sort of push to release retaining clip. On some models there is a side extension piece containing a small reflector on the back end also attached to the pod and to the fender.

That entire pod assy attaches to the car with a large rubber pad going next to the fender and 4 studs going thru holes in the fender with nuts holding everything on. The parts book also shows some kind of reinforcement piece inside the trunk but not quite sure where it would go or if it goes under any nuts. If the pod has the extension piece, another nut farther up on the side of the fender holds the front end of that item.

Posted on: 2023/7/17 22:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I did jack up the rear of the car yesterday. There were no bolts and studs in the area behind the fender in the trunk rear. However I could see where the holes where they should be in.

So I guess we were all correct. I have only two, but there should be four. I still don't understand why the light housing didn't loosen after removing the nuts. But I think we should put this mystery to bed for now. I sure appreciate all your help in this and all my rebuilding issues.

P.S. Only a few more wires to pull and connect and the total rewire is finished!. Then I'll cross my fingers hook up the battery and watch for smoke, ha.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/7/19 7:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
This thread is basically pursuing a rebuilding of the rear light housing. Do you need to do the same to just change the bulb?

Posted on: 4/10 21:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved