Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 86

Aiden, JD in KC, Todd W. White, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Custom Eight Fuel Pressure
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
Can someone please advise of the correct fuel pressure (PSI) from the fuel pump to the carburetor? Thanks

Posted on: 5/10 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Custom Eight Fuel Pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I don't know an EXACT value for yours. But 2-4 PSI is typical on most cars including Packards.

Why do you ask? Carb or accel pump not working?

Posted on: 5/10 15:30
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Motors Manual 20th edition gives the range for 48-50 models as between 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 psi. Service Counselor issue Vol 22 #1 gives the factory spec for the 48 Custom 8 engine as 4 - 4 3/4 psi with a delivery of 1 pint in 45 seconds. What I have never seen mentioned with that 1 pint delivery spec is the speed the engine is supposed to be turning when measuring. Since the 22 - 23 series were for all practical purposes except trim placement identical, the 48 factory spec should be valid for your 49.

Posted on: 5/10 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
Wanted to know the fuel PSI because will be installing a Carter P4259 electric fuel pump to assist in getting started. Will also install a pressure regulator with gauge (plus filters and shut off valves). The electric pump will be activated by a momentary switch. Once the carburetor is primed by the electric pump, a bypass tube (with check valve) will be used to supply the mechanical pump.

Posted on: 5/11 2:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Instead of a regulator, maybe just a check valve with an opening pressure of about 4 or 5 PSI with a return line to the tank would work better.

I'm not sure a regulator would work well with an incompressible fluid.

Posted on: 5/11 6:40
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I started finally working on my 1956 Clipper Custom I discovered it had an aftermarket fuel filter with a built in adjustable regulator and also my 1954 Patrician had a regulator in place of the fuel filter which I kept set at around 2.5 lbs. Both of my blogs show them.

Posted on: 5/11 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe
See User information
I actually checked my mechanical pump pressure on my 23rd series 327 yesterday. Held steady at almost four psi at around 750 rpm.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20240511_221648_Gallery.jpg (1,356.90 KB)
225648_664026da4f954.jpg 1080X2316 px

Posted on: 5/11 21:25
Joe Busuito
Greenville, NC
1950 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan, Model 2302-5
327 w/ Ultramatic
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
I just installed a freshly rebuilt fuel pump on my '49 with a 288. It was pumping out 5-6 psi. Took it for a drive and it stalled out after a bit (still trying to determine why - been chasing it), so I installed an inline regulator and dialed it back to 3-3.5 psi and drove it again. Same problem. Frustrating!

Monday, I am going to set up a direct feed to the pump from a clean can of gas, get it running, and try again. If the problem goes away, it MUST be somewhere in the pickup tube in the tank or in the long steel back-to-front fuel line.

Posted on: 5/11 21:30
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This was probably asked already but have you checked the rubber hose to the pump? Even if they look good on the outside, sometimes they collapse internally causing fuel starvation.

Posted on: 5/12 1:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved