Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 standard eight Roadster 733 - start up problem.
Just popping in
Just popping in

733SKT
See User information
I have a 1930 Packard 7-33 Standard Eight Roadster, which has been garaged for 11 months. I have just changed the oil, put in fresh fuel & fitted a brand new battery and it started first time and purred like a kitten. However, within 5 minutes of it turning over, the engine cut out and now won’t restart!. I think it maybe fuel related but fuel is getting through the vac tank and down to the carburettor okay. I’ll have the carburettor serviced just incase that’s the problem but, as a novice ‘have a go man with all the gear but no idea’, any pointers or advice from you professionals would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Posted on: 5/24 15:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 standard eight Roadster 733 - start up problem.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 733SKT,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your query.

However, I invite you to include your '30 733 Standard Eight Roadster in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 5/24 17:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
I have a 1928 Packard that showed the same problem. It turned out to be caused by bad gas that had started producing a varnish. I had to replace the fuel filters, drain the bad gas, and clean the gas tank.

Posted on: 5/26 21:40
Phil
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

733SKT
See User information
Thanks Phil, I had put in clean gas before start up but I didn’t replace the fuel filters nor clean out the tank. From a visual inspection the tank looks very clear and clean. I have now had the carb serviced and it was flooding so I will refit it and if the car still doesn’t start, I’ll try dumping the fuel, flush all lines and replace filters. Thanks again for the tip.

Posted on: 5/27 2:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Besides removing all of the fuel in the carb float bowl and vacuum fuel pump, I would also try cleaning the fuel ports: both the main(venturi) and idle port opening. If you had bad fuel or a dirty filter and a piece of dirt got through to the carb, that gunk could easily clog up the port.

R,
Gar

Posted on: 5/29 15:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

733SKT
See User information
Thanks for the tip. I decided to flush all fuel pipes as a precaution and after refitting the freshly serviced carb, I am pleased to report that it started up and ticked over beautifully. I went out for a run and she performed perfectly apart from hot water spraying out of the radiator cap just as I returned home!. However, temp gauge was fine so I think it is just a perished gasket inside the ornamental cap, as the rubber gasket has a few cracks in it. Thanks again for the valued feedback.

Posted on: 5/29 18:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved