Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

Paul E. Gallagher, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear axle enhancements to tolerate higher engine power output
Just popping in
Just popping in

greybeard
See User information
1939 Packard Six. Contemplating an engine swap. Suspect the stock rear axle would not respond well to torque and horsepower numbers in the 300+ range. Can the axle gears be replaced with others with a higher power rating? Or is the best option to just replace the axle with something like a Ford 9 inch? Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted on: 6/25 19:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear axle enhancements to tolerate higher engine power output
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would think you would want a different rear end with better gearing. They were geared for the power output of the original. motor and the speed of the original roads.

This is why people had or added overdrive.

You make want to use a later rear end with either a 3.23 or 3.54 gears.

Posted on: 6/25 21:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Plus you'll want bigger brakes to pull the reigns on all those horses,,,

Posted on: 6/25 21:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

greybeard
See User information
Big Kev,
Thanks for your suggestions and a reminder of just how much travel by car has changed. These older vehicles are definitely time capsules.

Posted on: 6/26 14:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

greybeard
See User information
Flackmaster,
Thank you for pointing-out the limitations of older brake technology, I appreciate your comment.
This Six, a Business Coupe, was restored by a previous owner, and I am going to evaluate the effectiveness of those period hydraulic brakes. My desire is for this car to just be a cruiser - no racing about. Just getting on a modern two lane highway with speed limits of 65mph is going to be hairy enough.

Posted on: 6/26 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
All well and good -- but then I don't understand your comment about wanting a 300 HP engine. Highway driving is problematic for old cars more because of engine speed than engine power.

The 300 HP 1956 cars could hit 120 MPH, and since required power is times the cube of velocity, this implies you need only about 40 HP to cruise at 60 MPH. Of course you need more for hills. But still, more a function of gearing and having increased motor life from not flooring it, than a strict lack of power.

Point is you could swap in something marginally better, e.g. a 150 HP straight eight from the 50's, and the car should be just fine if you have an overdrive and/or a decent rear end ratio. Without needing to beef up or re-engineer the entire drivetrain.

Posted on: 6/26 14:38
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

greybeard
See User information
I appreciate your well-reasoned comments. My target of 300HP is based on past experience of what that amount of power can do in terms of general performance. I did not mean that in a written-in-stone sense, just a base for conversation. My intention is to enjoy an occasional drive into town (less than 10 miles), likely fewer than 500 miles per year. Returning to my previous post, safely getting onto a busy two lane highway, specifically US 97, requires the power to quickly blend into traffic usually travelling well above the posted limit of 65mph. Out there, there is no margin for error. US 97 is the second busiest N/S highway in Oregon, and the most popular truck route, rivalling I-5. It is also something of a slaughterhouse; I should buy stock in companies that make flat-deck tow trucks. Using the relative performance of my 5.4L Triton-equipped F-150 as a unit of measure, 300 horses seems about right. The fact that this Packard's smooth-flowing body lines have street rod written all over it does not hurt. A shiny new V-8 crate engine seems the easiest way to meet performance requirements for modern roads and to stay safe. A straight 8 would definitely work, but I have no illusion about availability and pedigree of any such engine I may find.

Posted on: Yesterday 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My shop and most of my Packards are also "in the boonies" of Oregon off Hwy 97. Although I've not driven them there, when they were here in California as everyday cars, they had no trouble at all in highway traffic. In fact, the main problem was in town where other drivers would see an old car and pull right out in front of me no matter how fast I was going! Fortunately Packard brakes are good too.

Posted on: Yesterday 19:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved