Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51-56' fuel tank internals
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I know Ross had a picture of the inside of one of these fuel tanks, but it was low resolution and hard to make things out. So I cut open my old tank that came with my '54 Panama. If I can clean it up, I intend to use it as a spare or maybe put it on Rusty McRustface (53 Clipper) if I ever get it running. My brother in law is currently experiencing issues with his new reproduction tank, so this one may end up on his car if it can be saved.

This is what a failed fuel tank liner looks like

Click to see original Image in a new window

Top is not so bad

Once I get all this cleaned up, is there anything people want specific pictures of, or measurements?

Posted on: Yesterday 20:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 51-56' fuel tank internals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The liner looks worse than the tank itself! Was that an earlier sealing job gone bad or from the factory? Once welded back together, can it be done without the seam showing? What did you use to cut it so neatly and evenly?

Posted on: Yesterday 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
The liner looks worse than the tank itself! Was that an earlier sealing job gone bad or from the factory? Once welded back together, can it be done without the seam showing? What did you use to cut it so neatly and evenly?

I don't think the factory did sealer internally. I have another tank (from my brother in law's '52) that is full of surface rust inside, but no sealer. It is an original tank and the car overall has had much better care than mine.

The sealer ended up pooling around the pickup tube area (not covering the intake hole), and was about 3/8" thick in some spots. Pretty bad.

For cutting I marked 3/4" above the flange all the way around, then used a cut-off disk on an angle grinder. Took maybe 90 seconds to cut the top off. I'm going to clean up as much of the undercoating as I can, then take it a place to sandblast. Then I'll weld the top back on, seal the interior, and paint the outside. I don't think I can totally hide the weld seam, but at least it will be above the flange and when mounted in the car it shouldn't be very visible.

-Kevin

Posted on: Yesterday 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For my 1951 Henney-Packard tank which is quite different and riddled with holes, it ended up with at least three coats of sealer so now it is more of a plastic tank with a steel shell. I managed to minimize the puddling around the pickup tube too but i think the whistle (1951 and earlier only) suffered, Anyway, I used a super-hard silver paint from Hirsch on the outside, roughed it up a bit by hand with sandpaper, they used Hirsch’s aerosol chassis paint over that. No sign of leaks yet but it also has only 5 gallons of petrol in it!

Posted on: Today 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I'm trying to get as much of the undercoating off as I can, and man this stuff is tenacious. It's at least 1/4" thick in places and is like partially cured asphalt. The metal underneath it is beautiful though.

Does this stuff come off with sandblasting? I figured I would save them some time by doing it myself. But maybe sandblasting would get it quicker? Not sure because the stuff isn't "hard".

Posted on: Today 15:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the original tank was terne steel sheetmetal which has an inner coating consisting of an alloy of tin and lead which minimizes corrosion a bit more effectively than ordinary zinc galvanizing. Moisture can still affect it over time though as evidenced by the many rusted out tanks. If you sandblast you will remove whatever is left of that terne coat and to avoid almost instant rusting the cleaned tank will need to be quickly sealed again hopefully using a better product than used for the current sealing.

Posted on: Today 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved