Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 Water Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
On my 1940 Super 8, after around 25 years my water pump is leaking. I have one or two rebuilt many years ago spares, so I think all good there? I can remember many years ago getting this done. I have the generator loose and some slack on the belt. Managed to get the four bolts holding the fan blades out. Ouch!!. Need to get to the bolts holding the water pump to the block. Looks like the front of the engine will need to be lifted about 1/4 inch for the bottom bolt to come out? Trying not to pull the hood, front cowl and radiator. Do I have enough clearance? Done many years ago but cannot remember all of the details. There is not enough clearance to pull the fan and pulley out before the water pump comes loose? Thanks

Posted on: Yesterday 17:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8 Water Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I believe it is commonly necessary to lift the front of the engine slightly to get that last bolt out and to put it back in. This is due to settling of the front engine mount rubber. It is usually not necessary to unbolt any other parts to do this. Use due care to avoid damage to the oil pan and only lift the engine just enough to get the bolt out. I found it easier to install the pump, fan, and pulley as an assembly on my '37 120. Your car may be different. Use copper washers on all bolts that go into the block, and do not use lock washers on them.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:30
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
It's hard/difficult/nearly impossible to restart those bolts when refitting the water pump to the block. one trick I learned was to use a temporary alignment "tool" in one of the bolt holes while getting the other bolts started, then discard the temporary tool. I used a broken in half wooden golf tee, but anything of sufficiently small diameter should be OK.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
todd landis wrote:..... Managed to get the four bolts holding the fan blades out. Ouch!!.......

After my first attempt at this I soon learned that a sheet of cardboard or on old plastic corflute was cheap protection from the cheese grater effect the radiator had on my hands.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks for the reply's, after today I like having my fingers and knuckles all scrapped up. Yep I seem to remember having to lift up the front of the engine years ago. As I remember a 2x4 on its side worked good to push up on the oil pan front bolts.
I do remember having to support the center of the impeller and press the front flange a bit further on the shaft for radiator clearance, and to align with generator pulley and balancer. Fortunately I have a press making this a bit easier.
For the back plate on the pump there is a gasket, after adjusting the front flange, what is used in conjunction with the gasket for a good metal to gasket seal these days, if anything?
The last time I attempted this was much younger, no arthritis and my wrists and fingers were far more nimble than now. Then it was a fun learning experience, now it's a pain of hand and body contortions Getting up from the floor I have been laying on, now I need to roll a bit and try to ignore the pain in my wrists, elbows, knees, and a few other places. Toooo old, unfortunately for me.

Posted on: Yesterday 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Who did I meet years ago at Fred and Carol Mauck's house for dinner? I remember two gentlemen from Australia. This would been around 1990 give or take. I had a few Packard 12 radiator caps made by Stant that they purchased from me.

Posted on: Today 0:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved