Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Bumpers & Grille
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Thank you, it's a fun project! Cleaning off the remnants of lacquer and polishing everything up makes the original chrome look good.

When you mention cleaning off lacquer, if any was a clear coating and on chrome or other bright items you might want to check the list to verify that it was not on one of the pieces that might have been "war chrome". By 53 production I expect most if not all of that stuff was gone but since a lot of pieces are interchangeable with earlier years you never know if there was any waiting to be used up or something stuck in some dealer inventory that might have been installed after the fact.

Posted on: Today 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
But now I won't be able to go for a drive because it might get dirty!

Not that! Dirt is not allowed, especially if you're putting in new lenses. Merritt has nice new ones complete with screws and gasket so might as well go all the way if you haven't already.

Posted on: Today 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you, it's a fun project! Cleaning off the remnants of lacquer and polishing everything up makes the original chrome look good.

When you mention cleaning off lacquer, if any was a clear coating and on chrome or other bright items you might want to check the list to verify that it was not on one of the pieces that might have been "war chrome". By 53 production I expect most if not all of that stuff was gone but since a lot of pieces are interchangeable with earlier years you never know if there was any waiting to be used up or something stuck in some dealer inventory that might have been installed after the fact.

HH56, that is exactly what it is. I should have said enamel, not lacquer. I the picture below you can see the two places under the "teeth" where the enamel is still in good condition, other than it has yellowed. There was still enamel on the back edge of this piece, the bottom of the grille and the back edge of the teeth, anywhere that it was more protected.

My entire grille had enamel, as does most of my car. There is no indication of front end damage, so no reason to think this is not the grille the car left the factory with. My car was 8901 of 10799 Cavaliers produced in 53, so not an early one.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
You need to work slower so I don't get ashamed at my own rate of progress.

I'm feeling the same. Stop making us look bad!

Sorry, shining a light on the fact that you guys are neglecting your cars was not my intention.

Posted on: Today 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
My entire grille had enamel, as does most of my car.

That is bad news. I had thought the restrictions had mostly been lifted with 53 production but since the conflict didn't end until mid 53 apparently not. Packard said the war chrome will deteriorate fairly quickly without the enamel but that is probably with outdoor parking or exposure to more city and industrial environments. If your chrome is still in good shape and car is kept garaged or away from city fumes maybe keeping the war chrome clean, dry, and polished will suffice. Still it might be worth looking into a new modern enamel or lacquer covering if it could help save the pot metal from pitting and quickly needing a re-chrome.

Posted on: Today 15:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
My entire grille had enamel, as does most of my car.

That is bad news. I had thought the restrictions had mostly been lifted by then but since the conflict didn't end until mid 53 apparently not. Packard said the war chrome will deteriorate fairly quickly without the enamel but that is probably with outdoor parking or exposure to more city and industrial environments. If your chrome is still in good shape and car is kept garaged or away from city fumes maybe keeping the war chrome clean, dry, and polished will suffice. Still it might be worth looking into a new modern enamel or lacquer covering if it could help save the pot metal from pitting and quickly needing a re-chrome.

Restrictions may have been lifted, but who knows how many war chrome parts were in inventory, Packard wasn't in a position to be scrapping anything.

My chrome only has minor pitting and given the condition of much of the car I have to think the car has been garaged most of it's life and is being garaged under my care. Our dry prier climate should help preserve it as well. And as you mention, keeping it clean and polished/sealed is probably the best thing for it. If it still looks as good as it does after 71 years I think it'll be fine for the rest of my life!

Going to go put it back together and will post pics when I'm done. I'll do a couple of close-ups of the more pitted areas.

I always like to hear your insights, you're a wealth of Packard information!

Posted on: Today 15:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved