Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Frame swap under '49 Custom 8?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tristar500
See User information
Some of you are gonna hate me for this but I'm looking to set the "49 body on a late-model frame with power disk brakes, rack and pinion steering etc...

The "49 I acquired would be just too much time and money to bring it back to the original and I'd be hesitant to take it on a trip for fear of a breakdown and no replacement parts immediately available.

I'm looking for any info from someone who has already done one of these.
Perhaps an F-150 "Frame, Maybe a Crown Vic?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Posted on: Today 10:38
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod
Compressions 8.7:1

'49 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Re: Frame swap under '49 Custom 8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I mean you can fix these up for cheaper than you may think. If you tear into it enough and get some miles on it, you should be able to trust it pretty well. Ross has put close to 100k miles over the last 20 years on a couple cars not much different than yours.

Considering getting a donor rolling chassis and installing it would itself be a lot of expense and work.

Posted on: Today 10:43
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
A lot of work for a vehicle that drives like an old Ford or a pick-up truck

Posted on: Today 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cannot help with any frame suggestions and have never been around a frame swap to know all the ins and outs or limitations. Depending on how hard it will be to change the driving position, one thing I think you might need to consider is wheelbase and in particular where the front tires will be on whatever frame you find to sit under the Packard body.

Prior to 1951 almost all Packard bodies for the various 120" and 127" wheelbase 6 passenger models were the same with trim being the main differentiator. With the exception of the long wheelbase limo and 7 passenger models which did stretch some behind the front seat, the wheelbase differences between various other models were ahead of the cowl. I believe you will need to take that into consideration and make sure to find a frame that will accept the longer front fenders on your 127" Custom. I think trying to slide the Packard body back farther than the original body to accommodate the front fenders will wind up being a huge amount of extra work -- and that is presuming the rear axle would wind up in a workable location.

Posted on: Today 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Why not just drive the modern car as it is and save yourself a tremendous amount of work and even more expense? Making it look like a Packard won't make it one so defeats the purpose.

Posted on: Today 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
PDon above is right. It's no more "time and expense" to create a Frankencar than the real thing. If you just want an "old timey" ride, buy a used PT Cruiser. This is a site for those who want Packards, not F-150s or Crown Victorias.

Posted on: Today 13:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved