Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1928 Head gasket nut torque
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thank you for the images and torque suggestions. They are very helpful.

One last ask...how in the heck to I get the head off of the engine. I have the radiator neck off, all of the top nuts off and the disti removed.I have banged on it with a dead blow hammer but I do not get even a hint of movement...

Thanks,
Gar

Posted on: 9/24 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Is there a flange you can pry on a bit?

Worst case you can tap between the head and block with a chisel but I would NOT do this until you wait for more opinions to spill in...

Posted on: 9/24 14:33
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
No flanges that we could see. The owners manual indicates a head lifter tool, maybe?

Posted on: 9/24 14:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With all the fasteners removed but the spark plugs still in, you might just crank the starter motor a few times. On rare occasions the compression pressure is enough to free it up. But it's a LONG SHOT. More likely you'll have to start working your way around the perimeter of the head inserting something like a THIN putty or spackle knife preferably between the outer layers of the headgasket, tapping it in gently to produce a little upward force, and then moving stepwise around the perimeter of the head. Be careful, and patient!!, you don't want to cause any damage to either the head or the block surfaces. Once the head breaks free, you can use several wood wedges to gradually raise it up high enough to get a firm grip on it and remove it. You may want to have a helper handy to assist with the lifting.

Posted on: 9/24 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Owen:

Do you think using my air compressor in one of the plug ports (at 120PSI), while the others are still in the head, would do any damage?

I have about 80% on both sides of the gasket removed (about 3/16") but need another 3/16" before i get to the studs. Nothing removed from the very back nor front of the head.

Thanks,
Gar

Posted on: Yesterday 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
For what it is worth.....
Years ago I broke loose the head on my 326 engine with this trick my father taught me 70 years ago....
Cylinders come up in pairs.
Pick a pair.
Stuff some rope down the plug holes...equal amounts, of course...
Crank the engine and the cyl head will break loose.

Posted on: Yesterday 18:12
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gar, the advantage of cranking with the starter motor with all the plugs installed is that, unlike your suggestion, the forces are being applied equally along the full length of the cylinder head.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved