Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

Tobs, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiring For Fog Lights And Spotlight, 1955 Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Good morning fellow Packard Owners!
I've been reviewing the wiring diagram for 1955. I don't see any information on there on how to wire up fog lights and a spotlight from the diagram. Has anyone done it and could provide some tips? I do know that when using the fog lights the tail lights should also be operational.
Any help appreciated!
Regards,
Shawn

Posted on: 10/1 10:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring For Fog Lights And Spotlight, 1955 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know which spotlight you have but if it is a factory or repro of the stock V8 deluxe outside light, those went thru the dash, cowl, and fender so needed three holes drilled in a straight line and is a fairly involved install. There was a template in the kits so perhaps someone has and could post that. If the template is not available then it is a matter of luck and use of a long drill bit in getting things in alignment so the brackets fit the fender and dash contours. On most accessory items the wiring diagrams were furnished with the kits rather than being included in main diagrams. For the spotlight, wiring would be similar if not identical to the door post type spotlight mentioned next.

For the more conventional door type spotlights that were used earlier and went thru the front door area, there is a bit on installing those in the 51-4 service manual, accessory section. If the curvature and space needs of the windshield in V8s allows that type install then the details should be almost the same as given in the 51-4 version. Wiring is fairly simple with power coming directly off a breaker and available all the time.

For the fog lights, you will be most likely be using some type of under dash edge switch since there is not really a good place to add something in the dash if it has the full complement of accessories. I do not know what Packard offered for V8s but most earlier years did have an under dash edge mounted switch which inter connected with the headlight switch in order to get power from the headlight breaker and also feed back to the tail light wiring to energize them when fog lights are on. Again, the wiring instructions would be part of the kit.

Here is a photo of the V8 deluxe outside spotlight and a wiring diagram from a 22-23 series foglight install that might be helpful. Terminals and connetions shown on the 22-3 foglight and headlight switches would be very similar to those on a V8 except the fog switch location would not be in the dash.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 10/1 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Thank you Howard! I will definitely look these over.

Posted on: 10/1 11:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Howard,
Good morning!
I have fog lights similar to these. The difference is mine are 12V and doesn't have the orange cable coming out of the back but an individual cable coming from the bottom of each. I assume, after drilling a hole in my bumper, I need to remove the nut from the bottom of each fog light to mount to the bumper. The nut is reattached to hold to the bumper. Is there anything else needed for the mounting?
Thanks for your advice.
Shawn

Posted on: Today 10:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Fog and driving lights appear to have been a rarely bought option on 55-6 models. Didn't see any car photos in the archive that had them but did find one 56 with driving lights in one of the books.

Seeing the photo it looks as if your idea on mounting is correct and is the simplest and easiest way. Run the wires either under the bumper and car to a convenient spot near the frame where both could be spliced to a longer single wire coming from the switch or do the splice in the space behind the grille.

If I were adding lights to my car I would consider the possibility of mounting them on a couple of flat brackets just wide enough to accommodate the base post. Something like 1/8 or 3/16 flat steel from the hardware store painted black to minimize being seen. Pass the brackets outward from the space behind the grille thru the opening between grille and bumper. Extend brackets over the bumper just far enough to accommodate the distance you want light housings from the grille with enough extra to catch the full base to allow for decent engagement of the nipple and nut. To me this would be preferable to drilling holes in the bumper because you would drill in the lower splash shield behind the grill instead where the holes would be hidden. In case you or a next owner wanted to remove the lights at some point, without any holes in the bumper it would be simple and leave no visible damage. The brackets would need to have either offset bends or be mounted on spacers to match the height of the space between grill and bumper. I would also add dedicated ground wires connecting to the base mounting nipples as I would even if just using the bumper for the mount. Rust and corrosion of light mounts and their ground connections thru various metal pieces seems to be a large issue with many Packards.

Without having the lights in hand can't say if that method would even work. There is the possibility the threaded nipple, nut, and wire would be unsightly unless covered somehow which might be difficult to do. The nipple might also be too long to decently allow for using that narrow space between the grille and bumper. Anyway, just a thought.

Posted on: Today 11:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Vanya1953
See User information
Howard,
Good point about using brackets and not drilling into the bumper itself. I will see if I can use something like that. I've attached another picture of a 1955 Packard Patrician that has fog lights. They don't appear to be the same type as mine though. Hard to blow it up enough to see clearly. Not sure why it wasn't a popular option. They definitely are useful and nice looking.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard With Fog Lights.jpg (74.80 KB)
226861_66fedc9b26a08.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: Today 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Personally I don't think they are attractive but if they can be mounted without drilling the bumper, then go for it! Remember, though, that your state's laws may require that these be wired so that they can come on only when the headlights are on. I once got a ticket in my 1940 for having fog lights on when the headlights were off here in California where I live. In fact, I was pulled over right in front of my house as I was simply turning the car around and not going anywhere!

Posted on: Today 13:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a fine line between adding an extra accessory here and there for practical reasons and the car becoming garish.

I see this especially in some of the Pre-war years with added large driving lights, and fog lights, and extra bumper guards, and then a grille shield. Eventually, they start to look like this, and they have destroyed the look and lines of the car:

I really dislike those woven mesh grille guards that cover up the Packard louvered radiator grilles on pre-war models.

Posted on: Today 13:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved