Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 100

John Sauser, EastTexPack, Packard Newbie, Russell Harmon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Guidance on Grille Removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

58survivor
See User information
I'm prepping my 1940 160 Super Eight Club Sedan for some paint and body work by removing all bright work and trim. I'd like to remove the grille/louver assembly as a unit in the most efficient way possible. I did not plan to remove the front clip or fenders and am stumped about how best to remove the entire grille/louver assembly intact but leaving everything else in place. I can see how to free up the assembly but don't see how it can be removed without disassembling some sheet metal.

1) Does the top cowl piece (sheet metal holding the hood ornament)come off separately from the lower sheet metal surrounding the louver/grille? Seems like this would allow me to lift teh grille/louver assembly up and out.
2) Do I need to remove the fender attaching bolts at the front of the fenders to free up the sheet metal surrounding the louver/grill assembly? This would allow me to work on removing the grille/louver assembly while separated from the rest of the front clip.
3) I only see 6 bolts holding the sheet metal surrounding the louver/grill assembly- 2 top left, 2 top right and 2 top. Are there more or is the bottom portion held in place/supported in common with the front fender bolts requiring them to also be removed?

Any insights or guidance from those in the know or with previous experience doing this would be appreciated. I've seen some pictures in other posts but none with the detail or angle I need to figure out how to do the removal while keeping the front clip intact and attached to the body.

Posted on: Today 18:51
Joe L
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved