Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

PennyPackard, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54Caribbean hydrolic windows and top
Just popping in
Just popping in

54CaribbeanLarry
See User information
I have a 54 Packard Caribbean conv. , one minute the power windows were working fairly well. Drivers window was quick, but other three were slow. A few hours later, I went to put up the windows and none were working at all. When the window switch on the drivers door armrest bwas pressed a buzzing noise was heard coming from somewhere under or around the dashboard toward the engine compartment, But there was no movement of the window. Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong here? Also, the power top is working, but it is extremely slow and needs a lot of human assistance, pushing it down or up
Any insights are appreciated!
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_6189.jpeg (3,853.55 KB)
227155_671294dd48fea.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: Today 12:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 54Caribbean hydrolic windows and top
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It sounds like the reservoir is low on fluid and, as it’s the same one used for the power top, probably it isn’t working either. The driver door is the closest to the pump which in on the driver side firewall so needs less fluid than the others to fill the shorter lines so must be borderline low.

Posted on: Today 12:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have a look at the window and top operation in the body section of the 51-4 service manual. The Electro Hydraulic part starts on page 30 and has info on checking fluid level and a few other things to check if that does not resolve the issue. Be aware that there is every probability the system has the recommended brake fluid in the reservoir so be extra careful when removing the reservoir to check or add fluid to the level to not to spill any on any painted surface..Brake fluid works almost as good as paint remover and a few spilled drops can really do damage.

Posted on: Today 12:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

54CaribbeanLarry
See User information
Good afternoon gentlemen and thank you very much To both Packard Dan and HH56. So to clarify, is the brake fluid reservoir, the same reservoir as for the hydraulic windows and Top? I definitely want to check this fluid level first thing, and I much appreciate the warning about how damaging the brake fluid can be!

Posted on: Today 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Another word if caution if you're adding brake fluid to the system. Different types of brake fluid, when mixed, can turn into a jelly like substance. A bit of a mess to clean out.

Posted on: Today 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 54CaribbeanLarry,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Caribbean Convertible in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: Today 13:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

54CaribbeanLarry wrote:
Good afternoon gentlemen and thank you very much To both Packard Dan and HH56. So to clarify, is the brake fluid reservoir, the same reservoir as for the hydraulic windows and Top? I definitely want to check this fluid level first thing, and I much appreciate the warning about how damaging the brake fluid can be!

No, they are two separate reservoirs. The top and window pump is mounted high on the firewall and has a can like bottom part that is held on by a large movable clip. The top of clip is fastened to the pump portion, goes across the bottom of the can, and slides forwards or backwards to clear the can. The can itself is then removed to check or add fluid. Because the clip is somewhat tight it can break free and move suddenly letting the can drop if can is not held tightly. If it drops, fluid can slosh over the side so the need for a be careful around paint warning.

Depending on whether the car has power or manual brakes, the brake fluid master and reservoir for power btrakes will be toward the bottom of engine compartment just under the steering column. The fill cap barely clears the column at the side. For manual brakes master and reservoir will be bolted to the left side frame rail just behind the steering box.

Posted on: Today 15:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

54CaribbeanLarry
See User information
Thank you again to HH56 and 54 Cavalier. Is there a particular kind of brake fluid that should be used to fill the power window and top reservoir? Do you use the exact same type of brake fluid for the power top and window reservoir as for the power brakes reservoir? I just recently bought the car and do not know what kind of brake fluids are in either reservoir at the present time. How can I prevent mixing brake fluids that will create a gel like substance and a big mess?

Posted on: Today 15:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Actually it’s best to fully flush the system and fill with automatic transmission fluid which, if a leak appears, won’t damage the paint. It’s a lot of work but worth it and in my opinion the transmission fluid better keeps the pump lubricated than does brake fluid.

While the top and window hydraulic system uses brake fluid, it is unrelated to the car’s brake system and probably has standard non-synthetic fluid in it currently if untouched (not reworked in the past). If someone has reworked it, you’ll have to know what’s in it before adding more and it may have already been converted to transmission fluid which you should very easily be able to tell by smell and viscosity.

Posted on: Today 15:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Similarly, if you're adding to your brake system do a full flush, with brake fluid, and then make a note of what you put in for the future.

This is what the brake "fluid" looked like in my 53 Cavalier when I bought it.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Speaking of my 53 Cavalier, I'm going to go for a drive!

Posted on: Today 16:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved