Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tracing my '39 Packard Six's history
Just popping in
Just popping in

Graham Holley
See User information
Hi

My name is Graham Holley, I have recently bought a 1939 Packard Six to use for Art Deco Vintage Car Tours over here in Napier, New Zealand. I would love to trace the history of my car, such as place of Manufacture, previous owners before it came to NZ, that sort of info.

I would really appreciate any info or leads that you could provide me with, & look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

Graham Holley

Posted on: 2009/8/30 15:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Tracing my '39 Packard Six's history
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Grey66,

Below are 2 links to a ID Discussion and Engine Serial number ID.

Basically, the data plate is the place to start. It is under the hood. It should contain a model number and production number. A plate is pictured in the 1st link.

The big number pressed in the firewall is the anti theft number. It was not used for title or ID purposes but some folks on this website could probably have some interesting comments on it.

The engine should have a serial number (see 2nd link) that would tell if is from the correct production year or a replacement engine. The engine block probably has a 'cast date' usually toward the back. It may be in raised letters along the bottom edge of the side of the block,

Welcome to Packard Info. Oz (our Down Under Ambassador) will probably respond soon. He is also aware Packard Owners and History there. Thereand are VERY activePackard Lovers there.

LINKS:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3283&forum=4&post_id=34450#forumpost34450

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2727&forum=14

Good Luck
DanL

Posted on: 2009/8/30 16:42
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Grey66 wrote:......I have recently bought a 1939 Packard Six to use for Art Deco Vintage Car Tours over here in Napier, New Zealand.......

G'day Graham,
As DanL said to PackardInfo. I agree with what Dan said regarding the information you can glean from the numbers on your '39. The Data plate might have the name of the selling dealer imprinted on it, if so that could help in your quest. And seeing you're in "the land of the long white cloud" joining South Pacific Packardshttp://www.southpacificpackards.org.nz/ would be your best way to make contact with knowledgeable Packard people in NZ. This presumes, that is, your '39 was delivered new in NZ, nevertheless even if it's a later import your car could well be known to member/s of the club who could help you. I met some members from South Pacific Packards earlier this year at our 2009 National Packard Rally and they are very nice and friendly people, I'm sure you'll like them.

And a request - Could you please include your '39 in the Owner Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

The pic's below are from the 2008 NZ Packard Rally which included the Napier Art Deco festival.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.70 KB)
226_4a9b036275edf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.86 KB)
226_4a9b036d85519.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.72 KB)
226_4a9b03bf3278f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/30 17:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Graham,
for including your '39 in the Owner Registry. I see from the description in your Registry entry "Purchased to provide Art Deco Car Tours; Wineries, Restaurants, Art Deco Heritage Buildings, Weddings, Special Events etc." it's going to be a working Packard, congratulations.

EDIT - If you want another '39 110 Sedan to make a pair I believe there could be one for sale in Australia at present. If you're interested I'll find out more for you.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 2:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Grey66,

Are you a part of New Zealand Packards.

http://www.southpacificpackards.org.nz/

Enjoy
DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/1 15:07
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Graham Holley
See User information
Hi Mal, DanL

Thanks for all your suggestions & support. Yes, I am a member of South Pacific Packards, (I purchased the car from the club secretary... how could I not join ) & I won't be purchasing a second car just yet, sadly. Any other thoughts on tracing my sweet old girl's history welcome, thanks again guys

Graham

Posted on: 2009/9/1 17:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved