Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: V8 engine castings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I have a piece in my personal archive that Studebaker issued in 1963, promoting "Big Savings" on Packard parts - a 50% off clearance sale of over 650 different P/Ns.

Though I have no factual evidence, it's hard to believe that that Studebaker was still working off of service parts inventories that had been estimated and produced back in 1956 - especially parts that were produced by Packard.

Meanwhile, many people are/were under the impression that automakers were required to produce parts for ten years for a vehicle, after it was discontinued, but that's an urban legend. When I got into the corporate end of the business, some 25 years ago, I learned that the law only requires that a vehicle manufacturer must provide parts for only as long as needed to meet the terms of the warranty. However, I'm not sure how far back that requirement goes or what special terms the government might have put on S-P in helping to arrange a "rescue" <gag> by Curtiss-Wright.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
How could packard studebaker have been able to supply parts? Even if the government required them to supply parts for x amount of years, what would they do? If Packard was out of money, they were out of money. The government couldn't do anything to fix that.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 22:25
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was still very much in business and subject to any government rules, regs, etc.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 8:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At some point after they ceased car product in Canada, Studebaker morphed into the Studebaker-Worthington Corp.

But to turn things back a bit towards the original topic, is anyone in a position to try and track down the details of the real estate transaction that resulted in the sale of the Harper Ave. forge and casting plant? Knowing it was sold as an ongoing operation would be suggestive of it's continuing to be the source for V8 engine block and other castings.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 8:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

WilliamCraig
See User information
In 1961, they bought STP and in '63 they hired Andy Granatelli (sp?) to elevate the brand through racing, so there was some cash, somewhere. One of my club's members bought a "crate" engine for his '56 Patrician in about '63 or '64. He bought the car in '57 and still has it. I'll see if he knows, or can get, the casting date off it.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Interestingly, all the crate engines from Newman & Altman/Standard Surplus/SASCO which I've seen were the '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk versions. Two questions:
1. Wonder why there were so many overruns on the GH production?
2. Who got the Packard version surplus engines? Can anyone confirm which version - Packard, Studebaker or AMC - Stokes Marine was using for their conversions?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/27 9:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Jack:

1. Don't know, but I'd like to know.
2. The only Stokes Marine I'm familiar with had Skypower 352 valve cover decals on it; it would be nice to have more than 1 to base a conclusion on, but that's the limit of my knowledge on that. Though the oil pan was off during the restoration, I didn't have the opportunity see the oil pump style. I seem to recall that it had a single-action Carter fuel pump, but that's not a good indicator of anything.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have a copy of Stokes Marine Supply catalog 280 which was mailed to me in 1964 It lists the Stokes Packard Clipper V/8. Also lists the conversion V/8 kits for 175.00, v/12 Marine engine never in boat 1500.00

Posted on: 2010/8/27 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
google search on Stokes Marine:

http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/messages/3454/5202.html

Several other hits too.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 21:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A little off topic but look at the 'working model V8" in post #177 of link below and touted as very Packard.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407966&page=9

I remeber those from the late 50's thru early 70's.

Another Stokes pic post #163 of above thread too.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 21:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved