Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1949, 2265 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan *TECHNICAL DATA*
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
Thanks again, Owen.

On the Packard model info it says 6 passengers.... !

I am trying to make life easy for the authorities and have given them an example calculation for the overall weight after my judgement.

shipping weight: 3'770 lbs
6 passengers: 990 lbs
fuel (17 gallons) = 108 lbs
water (4.5 gallons) = 38 lbs
other liquids = 11 lbs
luggage allowance= 180 lbs
which sums up to soemthing like 5'100 lbs or 2'315 kgs

I guess that could be close to the truth

Speed: somebody earlier wrote also: ~100 mph
Together with your guess that should be something between 150 and 160 km/h

Regarding the German authorities so far:
1) With help of this website and the contained information as well as the comments from other users, it was a "piece of cake" to get the car acknowleged as "historically valuable" by the tax-authorities.
That means: instead of paying 14% customs plus 19% VAT, I only had to pay 7% customs !!!

2) With all the info from this website I have prepared a (nearly) complete data sheet for the car, which was already fully accepted. Just the above mentioned data are missing.

I will keep the Forum updated with the progress, so that others can also benefit from my experiences. For sure !

Cormorant still missing on the pic below (sent by separate mail just to make sure that it doesn't dissappear on the transport... :) ) It's there now and installed !

Attach file:

jpg  (27.89 KB)
3155_4dff6b2f8fcf2.jpg 300X450 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 10:47
Packard-enthusiast from Germany
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
@HH56
Thanks, yes, the fact book is a real profound source of info, but the required data by the German authorities are not in there.
Back in 1949 other values were more important to the customers :)

I keep looking

Posted on: 2011/6/20 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like you've made good progress and your calculations seem quite reasonable. Sorry about the 5 vs 6 passengers - I touch type and those #s are a long reach for old and less-nimble fingers.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 10:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
No problem, Owen :)
These figures about the car I know by heart in the meantime :)

Posted on: 2011/6/20 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
is it reassuring to find out there is a DMV even more unthinking than the the typical US one? This is typical in my experience of any German regulatory organization.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 11:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
you are very right !!!!!
well....sometimes it makes sense to be precise, but in this case it seems to me a little bit over-buerocratic.

Anyhow....no way around it...so I am trying to feed them with as much info as I can.
Finally only some fields in the papers need to be filled with some -more or less- realistic figures...so, I try to get them :) and...everybody will be happy :)

Posted on: 2011/6/20 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I think someone a your certification authority has their wires crossed, the decibel rating of noise at certain speeds/conditions is a rather new TUV requirement and certainly if a 1903 Mercedes were imported today they would not need those figures. A little pressure shopiuld resolve that, but then again it is Germany!

We have had many customers who buy parts form us import US cars fham the 50's without difficulty that we have heard about.

Noise?? Packards don't make any noise!

Wonderful car, beautiful accessory!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 11:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alexander
See User information
Fred, I am confident to get the problem solved...somehow :)

Yes, the car is beautiful and doesn't make noise...also due to a new exhaust delivered by Kanter's ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for providing so many spare parts for Packards

another pic of the beauty/beauties :)

Attach file:

jpg  (31.82 KB)
3155_4dff730fb24fb.jpg 300X450 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Do YOU have contact to any other Packard owners in Germany with a similar type of car ? Do you own a Packard yourself ?...

Alex, ich besitze keinen Packard und gratuliere Dir ganz herzlich zu Deinem tollen Wagen. Bez?glich der Kontakte zu anderen deutschen Packardeigent?mern wirst Du eine pers?nliche Nachricht in Deinem Postfach vorfinden.
Bin ich wirklich der erste in diesem Forum, der Dir sagt, wie gro?artig die Fotos sind? Jedes einzelne ein kleines Kunstwerk.

Alex, I don't own a Packard and congratulate you to your wonderful car. In terms of contacts to other German Packard owners you'll find a PM in your inbox.
Am I really the first forum member who points out how great the photographs are? Every single one of them much more artwork than picture.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 13:46
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...the decibel rating of noise at certain speeds / conditions is a rather new TUV requirement ...

For many decades the data in the registration certificate are based on the so-called ABE ("Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis" = Vehicle Type Approval). I don't know since when Germany has noise emission regulations but the current noise control regulation is older than 40 years.

[Richtlinie 70/157/EWG des Rates vom 6. Februar 1970 zur Angleichung der Rechtsvorschriften der Mitgliedstaaten ?ber den zul?ssigen Ger?uschpegel und die Auspuffvorrichtung von Kraftfahrzeugen (ABl. EG Nr. L 42 S. 16), ge?ndert durch die im Anhang zu dieser Vorschrift genannten Bestimmungen]

Quote:
...and certainly if a 1903 Mercedes were imported today they would not need those figures...

Germany isn't a Banana republic but a country whose rules and regulations reflect serious moral values. Names, brands and prominence are irrelevant to register a car.

[img width=300]http://erhard-metz.de/wp-content/uploads/Justitia_am_K?lner_Rathaus-430.jpg[/img]
- the blind Lady Justice; city hall Cologne -

Quote:
I think someone a your certification authority has their wires crossed ... A little pressure shopiuld resolve that, but then again it is Germany!...

The German machinery of officialdom as executive part of the juristic infrastructure is an anchor point of our commonwealth and by the way an export hit for decades.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 13:46
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved