Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Gary Kulp, West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Mythbuster #777 Fram Oil Filters
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Many years ago we got a letter requesting a "rear ass tray"
for a 52 Packard. That's why they don't have ash trays.

Also Jinerators, front and rear Pumpers, and too many more to recall.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"rear ass tray" = rear seat squab?

Posted on: 2011/6/24 20:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Fred, you forgot to add Bill Clinton to the former presidents you mentioned not to believe. Remember "I did not have sex with that woman, miss Lewinsky". On the real subject of this thread, thanks for the work of showing Fram filters through the years.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Here's a link to a thread on a board i frequent for pontiacs. Standard fram filter ( non race) internal collapse. Pic towards the bottom, owner does regular oil analysis and will post any differences from this oil change vs the previous.

Also, above that are several first hand experiences with fram oil filters on other members cars.

http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5074

Is that enough proof to move fram failures from "internet myth" to "customer reports are reliable, filter is just low quality"?

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Cortcomp

There is a phenomenon on the internet where peple will post false posts so they get "noticed" and feel important. Witness the posting a few months ago by PackardV8 wherein he said that electric fuel pumps were huge or enormous(??) and were 10 times the size of a mechanical fuel pump. that would make them the size of a case of beer where in actuality they are the size of a couple of D call batteries.

AS you know I dissected 3 Fram filters from the 50's through present and all were built similarly. I would suggest you get a used one and see if there is any piece of metal used in its construction as thick and with such a wide radius as is pictured. The only metal is any consequence inside is the center tube which is about 3/4" in diameter, .060" thick and perforated.

I could have taken a salamander, put it in the hole and said there are alligators in Fram Filters or for that matter, Republicans.

The explnatio of the race car with low pressure does not withstand a logical inquiry.

You can't fool all of the people all of the time but it seems some can't stop trying.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
There wasn't a piece of metal that size in there, that's a piece of rubber that come out from inside somewhere.

I happen to know that fellow pretty well, i don't think he has any reason to lie or to "get attention".

You always say that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Unless you can prove otherwise, that gentleman has, as a fact, recently had a fram oil filter failure and others have, as a fact, had other issues.

It is their opinion that the filters are troublesome, but the issues that affected them are facts. The conclusions they draw are opinions.

Now, could it be this was a race car with 100lb oil pressure spinning at 7200 rpm and the wrong filter was used or some other system failure contributed? Perhaps, that's why i asked about rpms and motor usage, etc.

As a fact, that filter failed, as i don't believe he (or some of the others there) are liars. We could just as easily say the fram fans are liars too then. Have to start somewhere with proof and those pics and the FIRSTHAND accounts i think are a good start.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote"
" a few months ago by PackardV8 wherein he said that electric furel pumps were huge or enormous(??) dn were 10 tiomes the size of a mechanical fuel pump."

BTW, it mite be a few days. But i'm going to post some pics of those fuel pumps.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Cortcomp,

Yes people do have the right to their opinions but not their own facts. I concluded that the errant piece was metal, possibly a bearing as the inner edge had a sharp clear reflection of the filter face in it. could have been a piece of rubber, my possible error for which I apologize.

You state that it came from "inside somewhere", being that the subject of your post is that Fram filters are defective or of low quality it is to be concluded that "inside somewhere" means inside the filter. If you meant that it could be from inside the motor then the filter would not be at fault. Your unclear wording makes the filter guilty by association.

I disassembled, photographed and posted on this site 3 Fram filters from 3 different decades. None of them have rubber inside of them or metal for that matter that could have been what is in the photograph.

Try again and remember the earth was flat for 1000's of years and wood burned because of the flogistan in it.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
TO PACKARD V8,

When I have nothing better to do I will find your post on the huge fuel pumps, it was long ago not just a few days.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Does the Fred Kanter Comedy Hour have any sponsors?

I can't imagine it getting picked up by any of the networks.

Maybe on Community access.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 14:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved