Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
373 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 371

Gene110, hemlock, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 131 132 133 (134) 135 136 137 ... 261 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
GREAT JOB KEV!!

Posted on: 2011/9/24 19:28
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Concur!

Posted on: 2011/9/24 21:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Can someone with an underseat heater tell me the routing of the power wire from the heater to the dash switch?

Installation instructions reference diagram 7 in the 55/56 manual accessories section, while this shows the wiring crossing over to the drivers side there is no narrative to go with it. Does it run along the drivers door sill? Up the b-pillar and over the roof?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 16:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Drivers door sill or down the middle -- either could be the the choice on a V8. If seats were electric, was done via the doorsill (red wire in this photo) If the car had power windows, that loom was down the center like the windows on this 56. For just a single wire like yours, think I would just get some clamps and small 1/4" split tubing and run that short distance down side of tunnel. In 54, if electric 4 way seats, then done like the V8s on sill. If it had hydraulic seat & window, that loom & hose was on side of tunnel.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.86 KB)
209_4e7faa1188fed.jpg 640X373 px

Posted on: 2011/9/25 17:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BigKev Quote:
Can someone with an underseat heater tell me the routing of the power wire from the heater to the dash switch?

Why do you need an underseat heater on a car in SoCal? My 55 Pat came with one and I looked at it as another place for an inconvenient leak, so I removed everything (took the option out).

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/25 17:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

The only wire that goes up the B-pillar is for the rear reading (dome) lamp switch. Figure 7 from the 55-56 heater installation instructions is a view from above, looking down on the floor.

I've not had the carpet completely out of any of my three V8 Packards with underseat heater, but perhaps we can use the image provided by HH56 together with Figure 7 to come up with an answer.

The diagram for Packard models shows the power wire for the heater following a rear harness, which runs across the floor, and BEHIND the underseat heater assembly.

Having worked on the BTV in my two '56 Patricians, I can say that the rear harness actually runs across the floor just below the toe plate, as shown in the image from HH56, to the transmission tunnel; perhaps '55 was routed more like the shop manual diagram. Now, I'm wondering if the bulk of that power wire in Senior cars is already included in the rear harness. The pigtail from the heater motor may simple plug into a connector coming off that harness; perhaps a similar pigtail is provided to complete the circuit to the dash switch. So, this diagram probably doesn't apply to your situation.

However, the diagram for Clipper models seems to show a single wire following a straight path across the floor that runs just AHEAD of the underseat heat assembly.

Using the available landmarks of the relative layout in this diagram, it looks to me that that power wire runs from the dash switch over to the left side cowl area, then down (behind the kick panel) to the driver's side of the floor and along the left side (just under the carpet, NOT the scuff plate), to the point where it needs to cross over the floor. I'm guessing that that cross-over path will fall just behind the leading edge of the front seat, with seat adjusted all the way back. I suggest you leave a little extra wire looped up under the dash, in case you find you need to reroute later. Also, note the locations pointed out for three clips; I'd use the small, nylon loop type.

Perhaps someone else with a Clipper so equipped can provide some additional insight.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
After many years of driving Packards in cold climates I am convinced the the overall heat output of cars with the underseat heater option is actually less than with just the cowl heater. I attribute this to the long flow path of the coolant which slows the flow to both heaters, the heat loss in the 13' of hose required, and the fact that the core in the underseat is absolutely weenie. The only advantage is air circulation.

Of course I am extremely prejudiced in favor of simplicity.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 19:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys for the responses.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 19:44
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok here is todays work.

Finished rebuilding the underseat heater, and installed it. The involved using a drift and a hammer to punch out the knockouts on the floor. At first I didn't even notice there were knockouts, you have to look for them.

One these were removed, the heater drops in place and tucks up under the rear foot rail. Once in place 6 pan-head screws hold it in place. Just need to finish the wiring for it.

With the heater back in place, I reinstalled the seat tracks that were cleaned up and painted. Two of the studs on the passenger side broke on removal from rust. So those studs were drilled out and replace with hex bolts.

I then but the seats back in the car for know as they were talking up a lot of room in the car, and I want to be able to drive it a little bit before I move onto the next step.

I also reinstalled the hi-beam switch, and pedals. I need to replace the accelerator pedal, as someone mucked with at some point and drilled a hole through it.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.40 KB)
1_4e7fcce2ed90b.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (99.54 KB)
1_4e7fccf391ce4.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (102.29 KB)
1_4e7fcd00b8a92.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (100.29 KB)
1_4e7fcd1d11a77.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (80.46 KB)
1_4e7fcd280347f.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (87.50 KB)
1_4e7fcd3d4d0d1.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (67.29 KB)
1_4e7fcd4b2fc71.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (82.56 KB)
1_4e7fcd570585c.jpg 760X1280 px

jpg  (72.37 KB)
1_4e7fcd60d9be5.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2011/9/25 19:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Very nice work BigKev. Looks great.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 8:10
Stephen
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 131 132 133 (134) 135 136 137 ... 261 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved