Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 119

BDC, Vince, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 sparkplug boots w/ ribs where?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
would like to know if anyone knows or has found a place to get reproduction 4 ribbed sparkplug boots that are correct for 1955. I see Dwight has then sets, but the sparkplug boot end is not correct with the ribs.

i have them in decent shape on my old set, but i really don't want to reuse them. would like to have NOS or something reproduction.

i see steele has something with 4 ribs, but it is straight and not does not have the correct 35 degree bend in the boot.

any suggestions.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2012/1/6 10:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 sparkplug boots w/ ribs where?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, could you buy a roll of the correct ignition cable and terminals and make up you own wires?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the wires are not the problem. the boots with the ribs are the problem. the boots that go over the sparkplug. the rest is easy.

i do have the correct one that were on my car when i got it, but they are pretty crummy looking.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:13
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, I took your first post to say the boots were in decent shape. I have a set of wires on my 55 that must be a set from Dwight, as I bought the car from him. They are a good fit. Good luck on you search.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess it is the ribbed part that will be difficult. Wonder if that was a Packard detail or if a generally used item then. Several vintage wiring places have the 135 degree part but all seem to be smooth like Dwight's.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah that seems to be the problem, nobody seems to have them. Dewight's site says NLA on those. but i'll probably end up with the correct angled smooth ones he has. somethings just can't be helped i guess.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/1/6 15:34
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think if you buy the non-covered wire set with bent connectors from Dwight Heinmuller you can slide the Steele product over the connector with the use of dielectric silicone grease.

It won't look molded until the heat from the motor vulcanizes the rubber some.

Sound Okay?

Posted on: 2012/1/6 19:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I looked at an old cable and pulled the boot off. Boot has a slight angle but I wonder if it might have been straight originally and has a 50 year set. Steele says his boots duplicate the factory part and if you look at some factory views of V8 engines, the wires do seem to be at different angles.

The metal connector definitely has a notch where it bends into an angle and the boot follows. If you bought a generic 135 wire set and Steele boots or just boots, wire and some straight and 135 angle terminals from Restoration Supply, Taylorvertex, or several other places and made your own, I'd bet they would pass nicely.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.40 KB)
209_4f07a711a89de.jpg 313X640 px

jpg  (35.74 KB)
209_4f07a71adf264.jpg 640X375 px

jpg  (10.74 KB)
209_4f07a7249f86b.jpg 234X187 px

jpg  (32.94 KB)
209_4f07a72c492d2.jpg 571X562 px

Posted on: 2012/1/6 21:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I found a kit on eBay for 45. And I thought about that and then buying the steele product to use for the ends. All of my originals are weathered and won't be usable, but they all do have that bend and the Steele product seems to be a straight piece. But... It is a good point that the pressure from the connector and heat over time will form them accordingly.

Or I could just talk to Dwight about sending him the steele boots to make the set with. Either way.

Thanks for all the brainstorming and help guys! I always appreciate it

Hank

Posted on: 2012/1/6 21:26
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
I think if you buy the non-covered wire set with bent connectors from Dwight Heinmuller you can slide the Steele product over the connector with the use of dielectric silicone grease.

It won't look molded until the heat from the motor vulcanizes the rubber some.

Sound Okay?

Henry,

I tend to agree with this one. Are you basing the look of the replacements against only your worn boots, or have you seen actual pictures of ribbed and angled boots in a parts book? I tend to think that the ribs were just meant to ENABLE the boots to bend around the pre-bent metal ends.

It's hard to judge how a new part should look if your only reference of comparison is a worn one, especially a flexible rubber part like this.

I'm thinking of, for instance, the many wrong-sized fan belts that are purchased because someone just "eyeballed" a new one against a worn and stretched one.

But then, I'm not an expert.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 4:04
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved