Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1953 Packard Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Guys and Gals
This is my first post. It appears I need to change power brake unit. An inspection of vehicle (just got it) reveals
a power brake unit with single vacuum line which would appear to mean I have 1955 brakes on a 1953. The vacuum lines have a T rather than 2 lines and the vacuum tank has a single line. Comments please.

Ken

Posted on: 2013/4/27 8:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Packard Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is correct for 53. Only the 52s had two lines: one vacuum, the other going to a breather mounted on the firewall. On the 53-6 units the breather was mounted on the Treadlevac itself. The vacuum line should have a tee near the unit with one branch going to the Treadlevac, one branch to the vacuum tank, and one to the manifold fitting behind the carb.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Ross
thank you
regarding the replacement of power unit, brakes work but pulse but stop, pedal is not right pressure wise. in the 60s when the booster went you had to push hard this unit you need to push hard also. I am thinking if vacuum was leaking engine would not run so good, I do not hear leak, but wondered if it is a vacuum issue.
comments please.
Ken

Posted on: 2013/4/27 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ken,
to PackardInfo. But sorry, no comments, not my area of inexperience. Instead, I invite you to include your '53 Caribbean in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/4/27 14:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
welcome and thanks for posting. I hope you register and post some pics of your car. i have a 52 200.

i just checked my brake fluid for the first time & brought it up to level. I was thinking(i know, this can be dangerousLOL) but what is my easamatic brakes supposed to feel like???? the car stops. the feel is hard or firm , but not at all overly sensitive. I have nothing to compare it to. my easamatic has the configuration explained in this thread with the 'T' etc. My vacuum lines , to me look very old and i think i will replace soon.
thanks

Posted on: 2013/4/27 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
When all is right with the world the Easamatic has a very short travel and a light but not touchy feel. I seldom use more than my big toe in my 56--you should certainly never have to lift your whole foot and press it on the pedal in anything short of an emergency.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 20:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,
for including your '53 Caribbean Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 14:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the site. I also have a 1953 Caribbean and am located in the western suburbs of Chicago. I had my BTV rebuilt in 2007. There is not much pedal travel when the brakes are applied and it is firm. As Ross stated, it does not require much pressure to stop the car.

Good luck with your car. Hopefully we can see you at some Packards of Chicagoland events this season.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
ross, thanks for describing how the easamatic should feel. good to know. my car stops and i assumed it is correct. but my brake peddle needs quite a bit of pressure for the car to stop. I have to use my whole foot; not just my big toe to stop the car. it does pull to the left as well. i filled the reservoir with fluid. Good information and the brrakes will be just another task on my long to do list.
thanks

also , i assumed i have easamatic brakes & i read about them in the shop manual. i will check again. is it possible i have regular hydolic brakes & not power brakes. i think i have easamatic because of the vaccuum lines and the tank......

Posted on: 2013/5/7 1:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
follow up: i just read in the service index that 'hard peddle' could be the result of the vaccum lines being reattached back wards. and they have a great diagram as well. so i will take this new info and check tomorrow morning before work. How cool is this site!!!!
very interesting

Posted on: 2013/5/7 2:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved