Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fasteners
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The body for my '37 was a partially stripped parts car at some point. So many of the body fasteners have been replaced with regular hardware store hex bolts and washers. But I would like to replace them with the correct style of hardware, especially where visible.

Does anyone have a reference or pictures of the type/style of fasteners used in the following locations?

-Fenders to body and radiator shell
-Inner Fenders
-License Plate Hardware

Posted on: 2023/1/26 9:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Fasteners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Mine too had no inner fenders and all rear lamp parts were removed, but all the actual fenders were attached with what looked to me to be original hardware. All fasteners throughout the car are fine thread, 5/16-24, and all were 3/4" long. Regular washers on both sides with lock washers added to the nut side. Nuts are all on the inside of the car, exposing the bolt heads when looking inside the fenders. The exception is the rear fenders which use body washers instead of just regular ones. I chased all the rear fender body cage nuts with a tap so the bolts spin on easier.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/1/26 16:09
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob, thanks for that. I just wasn't sure if there were any "body bolts" used. The fenders on my 54 used alot of body bolts that had integrated washers that were part of them.

Something "similar" to this picture in style, vs a standard hardware store bolt.

Attach file:

jpg  bolt.jpg (25.50 KB)
1_63d3e92d6361b.jpg 679X484 px

Posted on: 2023/1/27 10:10
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Kev if you’re looking for bolts with an integral ‘washer’ they are known as flange bolts. McMaster-Carr has such in various strengths, material, and thread configurations. Depending on which you select the package quantity is 5-100. I’ve also purchased them at the local ACE Hardware sold individually. They had a black oxide finish.

I’ve also put a black oxide finish on hardware store bright plated bolts. That process starts with a soaking in Lysol toilet bowl cleaner ( 9.5% hydrochloric acid ), and once the bubbling stops a quick rinse in hot water followed by a few minutes in Caswell black oxide solution. The final step is several coats of preservation oil. I think the oldest set of hardware that I’ve treated is about 10 years, and there is no hint of corrosion (rust). I’ve also treated a few sheet metal wing nuts for the battery hold-down on my ’48, and they are equaling doing well.

dp

Posted on: 2023/1/27 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I can confirm there was none on my car. I have seen them on post war cars but not pre-war. Does not mean that Packard did not as my experience is strictly this car.
Looking through the fastener section of the Parts List book, page U-8 shows what could be some, they refer to them as 'Shakeproof Screws Hex Head' but these look to be used where a self tapping one would go but use a machine thread as it has that slash in the body to create a thread in sheet metal. Again, I found none on my 37 120C.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  fasteners.jpg (130.97 KB)
225215_63d3ff67a8acb.jpg 1193X1139 px

Posted on: 2023/1/27 11:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Clippers used several fasteners similar to that shown above in holding the fenders and inner fenders to the frame and radiator cradle. In holding the inner fenders to the outer fenders at the top and sides and at braces they used what I think were commonly called stove bolts in that era. A round slotted head screw with a square nut. Since Packard didn't change minor things like screws which were doing the job all that often, I would almost bet something similar was on the 37.

Posted on: 2023/1/27 12:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
if you’re looking for bolts with an integral ‘washer’ they are known as flange bolts

Not quite. Flange bolts do indeed have a washer-like flange that is integral with the head but that’s not what was shown. This type had a separate but constrained washer so, though similar at a glance, is not a flange bolt.

Posted on: 2023/1/27 12:49
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I guess it would be neat to see an original/unmolested car to see what was initially used, especially in areas that are visible, like where the inner fenders and fenders bolt together, as that is probably on the list of next projects, not that I have them in hand.

I am sure the fasteners on 115c and 120 are the same.

Posted on: 2023/1/27 13:53
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I can't speak for the Junior cars, but our ORIGINAL 8,754 mile Super-Eight 1500 has flanges between the lock washer and rear fender.
I would expect that the Twelves also were configured that way.
I will also add that all the fasteners have smooth heads....no strength marks.
When I restored the LeBaron I just bought new fasteners and ground the marks off.
Perhaps someone with an unmolested SIX or 120 can comment.

Attach file:

jpg  LG fastener.jpg (102.29 KB)
441_63d4206785e15.jpg 615X1294 px

Posted on: 2023/1/27 14:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, here is a bit on the fenders and a mention of maybe one of the screws you asked about. This is from The Production Packard by Dar Kuehl. The book has lots of info on 37s and is still available on Amazon. Maybe worth picking up a copy.

As I recall someone had a question a few days ago on how to tell a 110 from a 120 fender. Maybe this helps answer that too.

Attach file:

jpeg  fender1.jpeg (258.78 KB)
209_63d423485f9d9.jpeg 1242X1920 px

jpeg  fender2.jpeg (240.83 KB)
209_63d42354a01b2.jpeg 1530X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/27 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved