Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 Packard Patrician
Just popping in
Just popping in

sk
See User information
I am looking to purchase a 1954 Packard Patrician. The car belonged to my friend's father, due to break failure. I have never seen the car run.

I would like to know from members with experience with these cars.

How available are parts like break parts that I will need for sure

Are there any things that I should look for when I go take a look at the car again. From what I remember it was rust free.

The car is all original and all there, the tires are still inflated. Black original paint and interior (light blue) looks good just dirty mostly dust. I would call it a true barn find.

I know it difficult to come up with a value with just a little description but any help in the rage of what this car is worth will help.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 17:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There weren't that many Patricians made in 1954 and I have two of them along with several sets of spare doors and lots of trim. Brake parts (not break) are easy to find other than perhaps the drums but I've never had to replace one so not sure how hard they are to locate.

I cannot speak for value (check out Hagerty Insurance for their online value calculator) but consider what accessories it has, such as power windows and seat or factory A/C among others. Power brakes and steering were standard on the Patrician but some people special ordered them without although I'm not sure what that does to value but to me it would lower it quite a bit. The paint and trim codes on the driver's door frame will tell you what the color was originally and which interior it had which can be viewed in the Literature Archive here on this site to see samples.

All that said, sedans do not have a high value so restoring one is done for the love of the vehicle and I am glad that others here, such as the site's creator BigKev, has beautifully restored a 1954 Packard Clipper sedan.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And a few more comments. If no paint and trim code is on the door jamb, believe in 54 paint and trim codes were on a paper label affixed to one side of the glove drawer.

You asked about specific things to look for and one would be the transmission. With late 54 production Packard introduced their upgraded Ultramatic called the Gear Start Ultramatic. That transmission was the first Ultramatic with an actual gear shifting action done by the unit. The GS could either work the same way as the original which was essentially a one speed and torque converter no shift transmission or by choosing a different selector position, start in low, automatically shift to high and then have the converter go into direct drive. I don't know if there is an estimate of how many cars might have had the GS Ultra but to identify whether one is in that car look at the selector quadrant. The original Ultras had 5 positions, P N D L R while the upgraded units had 6 positions with a dot in the quadrant denoting the extra position.

The 54 one year only 359 engines had an aluminum head. If yours is still on the car that is probably a good thing because due to issues over the years many were replaced by cast iron heads. If the original is still on the engine, hopefully poor storage conditions has not cause any problems. The aluminum head has slightly rounded corners and edges while the cast iron head has fairly sharp square corners and edges. Good used aluminum heads are somewhat hard to find today.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 19:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
All brake parts are easily available.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
We love photos so please try to add some to your original question while it is still editable!

Posted on: 2023/10/2 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
In Packard-Land the early 50's Patricians have some of the best combination of cost, parts availability, features, documentation, and ease of repair. As always, caveat emptor when buying a car that has sat for a while, but in general parts and resources to help you out are essentially as available as for any much more well known classic of the same period.

One of the benefits to Packard ownership certainly is the rarity/obscurity to most people, yet few significant "rarity problems" as there might be for say, brass era cars excepting those made by a certain four-letter F word.

P.S. Post some photos. Sites like imgur have a smartphone app where you can take as many as you want, then post the link.

Posted on: 2023/10/2 20:13
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

sk
See User information
will post photos this Thursday

Posted on: 2023/10/4 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Funny to see this, as I just dragged home a '54 Patrician last Saturday. Mine, however, is a bucket of rust, so what is usable will be either used or will go for parts. The rest will go to make 8 Nissan Versas.

Posted on: 2023/10/4 12:24
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Wat_Tyler wrote:
Funny to see this, as I just dragged home a '54 Patrician last Saturday. Mine, however, is a bucket of rust, so what is usable will be either used or will go for parts. The rest will go to make 8 Nissan Versas.

Ross mentioned to me one time, I think it's the top of the rear fenders have the same form as some of the lower fenders on the car, so if you cut those off and keep them, you can weld them on at a different location to repair the rusted lower ones.

Posted on: 2023/10/4 12:30
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s interesting! I’ll need to remember to look at mine when I’m at the shop next month.

Posted on: 2023/10/4 12:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved