Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1936 Packard 120B Business Coupe engine rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
but I really want to do it in the car, we are on an Island and it would be difficult to get it bored and honed

Just for starters, you have to remove the engine from the car and strip the block to have it bored. If the cylinder taper was perhaps 0.007" or less, you could hone and use new rings on existing or new pistons which have been knurled or had expanders fitted. One critical thing in that operation is keeping the honing grit contained. Though that kind of job can't be called a rebuild, it was reasonably common in the day and might give you another 20,000 or so miles, everything else being up to snuff. You might consider starting by stripping the engine and making measurements of bore size and taper, crankpin "roundness" and size, etc.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 23:24
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pwakem
See User information
Hi Vashon

Good luck with the rebuild and I think you will be well guided by senior members of the forum.
My only piece of advice concerns providers of components required. My rebuild has become a protracted affair due to non supply by Kanters (despite my previous post re James from Kanter).

Probably contributed to my own woes but, in future, I would try to source from Merritts or alternative. Ordered deluxe rebuild kit for 120B back in July/August and am still awaiting oil pump kit. Timing chain and ancillaries arrived maybe two weeks ago! If you order anything try to get a commitment that they either have in stock or a firm ETA. Website and catalogue suggests everything available but given my experience, a lot more smoke than fire!

All the best

Posted on: 2012/12/27 2:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I've had very good luck with Tuscon Packard.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 3:21
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mirek
See User information
You can do the test oil. You know what? I am writing in Polish do not know if it's as you say at the oil test test oil.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I bought most of my engine overhaul parts from Terrill Machine in DeLeon TX. They're a first class bunch, and easy to deal with.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 20:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Vashon41 for including your '41 One-Twenty Convertible Coupe in the Registry. A few hiccups on the way but we made it! Always good to see another '41 on onboard.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 13:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved